A Weekend Away


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany » Florence
February 2nd 2008
Published: February 2nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

In the HostelIn the HostelIn the Hostel

Alicia and AJ in our wonderful hostel. It is an off season for tourists, so there wasn't many people and we had a whole apartment to ourselves. They also let us keep our room far past check out time so we had somewhere to keep out bags. So nice of them!
I am just sitting finishing up my lunch and realized I haven't updated recently! This last weekend went by pretty quickly. School and the work that comes with it seems to move thing along pretty swiftly. Anyway, last weekend the girls upstairs and I traveled outside of Rome and visited Florence (or in Italian, Firenze). It is a beautiful city! It's much, much smaller than Rome, so it wasn't hard to be right in the middle of everything. We learned another expensive lesson while we were booking train tickets. Apparently, there is a HUGE difference between taking the normal Regional Rail, and the faster, express EuroStar. About a 20 Euro difference... But, on the upside, it only took us an hour and a half to get to Florence.

We left early Saturday morning and were at our hostel to check in by 11. The weather was beauuuuutiful on Saturday. We got some lunch and sat in the Piazza della Signoria, on the steps of the Duomo. (Duomo is actually just the term for a cathedral, the actual church is called Santa Maria del Fiore. But if you say "the Duomo", everyone knows what you're talking about). After eating and snapping
DuomoDuomoDuomo

Part of the Duomo. See how blue the sky was?!
about a hundred pictures, we went to the open market. It is championed as one of the best marketplaces in Europe. It was a great place to get leather, scarves, or even clothing.

After shopping, we headed back to the Duomo and looked around the church, then climbed to the top of the dome. From the top, you had a 360 degree view of Florence. I was so thankful that the weather was a gorgeous as it was, the view was perfect. Climbing the 463 (give or take a few) stairs was worth it! After such a climb, we were all pretty winded and just enjoyed our time at the top for quite some time. The rest of the day just consisted of more picture taking, exploring, and dinner.

Sunday we went through museums. We started at the Accademia Gallery where the biggest attraction is Michelangelo's David. It was breathtaking. First of all, it is MASSIVE. I thought it was life-sized, but it's several times life size. Michelangelo was only 26 when he sculpted the David... the detail is so impressive, though. His hands are what was the most interesting... you can see the detail in the way
DuomoDuomoDuomo

This was our view from the steps as we ate lunch.
his fingers are curved, the veins that run up his arms. There was also room of plaster models of statues that were commissioned throughout history and they were pretty cool. The biggest problem was a "no picture" policy in the Accademia, but AJ and I had a fun time playing Tourist vs. Photo Nazis. The tourists left victorious!

Next was San Marco, a church and convent that's famous for the frescoes that the monk Fra Angelico painted in each of the cells. When you first walk up the stairs to the hallways with the cells, Fra Angelico's "The Annunciation" is displayed. It is a beautiful painting of the angel telling the Virgin Mary about carrying Christ. I was most impressed with the angel's wings, they were fantastic and done in such great color.

Florence is the gelato capital of Italy, so we indulged in the frozen treat twice while we were there. I could have eaten it for every meal if I had to! I loved the small city, and I would certainly go back in the future if given the opportunity. I only had a few regrets on the trip: First, that I didn't get better pictures
DuomoDuomoDuomo

This is the baptistery across the street. The doors were designed by Lorenzo Ghiberti and are so beautiful. They've been dubbed "The Gates of Paradise".
of the Communist march that was preceding through the town on Saturday. The girls I was with decided it would be dangerous and we had to walk AROUND the procession, not through it. Disappointing! The other is that I missed the painting "The Birth of Venus". I was told there wasn't much else in the museum that she's in though, so I did not, in fact, miss much. My final regret: I missed the Criminal Museum. It seemed fantastically interesting. But, there is always next time!

Oh, my roommate Thea took out my stitches for me, so I feel human again! The scar shouldn't be bad, it wasn't too deep of a cut. But I thought I'd share some post-stitches pictures with you.


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Soaking up the sunSoaking up the sun
Soaking up the sun

The steps of the Duomo
DuomoDuomo
Duomo

You had to try to take bad pictures of such a beautiful structure.
DuomoDuomo
Duomo

The inside was so massive and spacious.
DuomoDuomo
Duomo

Even the floors were intricate. The marble in these cathedrals is gorgeous.
DuomoDuomo
Duomo

This is the view from half way up our climb to the top of the dome. We were at the top of the walls, right at the base of the dome. The ceiling was so detailed.
Going up...Going up...
Going up...

The spiral staircases were not always the most fun to climb up...
DavidDavid
David

A bit blurry, but the best one I got in the midst of running from Photo Nazis!
DavidDavid
David

He's got quite a tush.
DavidDavid
David

Love his hand.
Protests!Protests!
Protests!

Yay, Communists!
GelatoGelato
Gelato

Alicia didn't quite have a hand on the gelato and waffles that we got. Note the melted puddle of Nutella gelato on the ground beside her and the huge spot on her knee... messy child.
Ciao, FirenzeCiao, Firenze
Ciao, Firenze

Kylie, Alicia, Jess, AJ and I on the Ponte Vecchio. It's a bridge that is lined with gold shops. Florentine gold is some of the best in the world, and it was fun to see all the gold and glimmer.
No stitches!No stitches!
No stitches!

Oh, I had my roommate Thea take my stitches out, so I feel human again! I still have a bit of a black eye, but it's so nice to not have a gauze patch over my eye.
No stitches!No stitches!
No stitches!

Here's my Harry Potter-esque scar!


2nd February 2008

love the details...
The pictures are beautiful Dani. I can't wait to be there with you! I like all the details you give us (although a couple I might have changed the wording just a bit!) Tell Thea, "nice job!"
4th February 2008

Beautiful City
Great pictures and commentary Dani. I'm glad you were able to stay upright through the whole trip! You should make up a story to tell all the people who ask about your eye.... "There were these two muggers that attacked me back in Rome. They were tough, but in I was tougher. My daddy was from Broadbecks, PA and we Kesslers stand our ground. etc...."

Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0422s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb