Decadence in St. Peter's and tiring of pasta


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
February 8th 2008
Published: February 8th 2008
Edit Blog Post

The Pope hates amputeesThe Pope hates amputeesThe Pope hates amputees

This sign clearly states that amputees are NOT welcome in St. Peter's...
Last weekend a lot of people traveled (for classes, or to Venice for Carnival) so I had the apartment to myself for a few days. It was great to have some personal space and the ability to just hang out. Jay and Lauren hadn't gone anywhere, so Jay took us on a tour of St. Peter's Basilica. It was breath-taking! Granted, it did get a bit excessive at times, but it was still beautiful nonetheless. My favorite part was the monument to Alexander VII. Red marble was used in creating a red drapery that hung over a gold skeleton. Hopefully the picture I have will do it justice. I was so impressed with how fluid the marble looked. We didn't climb up to the top of the dome, but that will be in an upcoming trip. I heard the view of Rome from the top is incredible.

After that trip, we wandered to the school to book spring break. I'm spending the first five days in Athens, flying back to Rome, and then heading to Amsterdam for the rest of the trip. It should be an amazing time. And, in anticipation of criticism about Amsterdam, there are lots of things
On the insideOn the insideOn the inside

This is an unimpressive picture of the first, very impressive, view I had of the inside of St. Peter's.
to do besides hang out in pot cafes and stroll the Red Light district! We're going to see the Anne Frank house, the Van Gogh museum, and go on the Heineken tour. (That last one doesn't really fit with the image I'm trying to portray... haha).

On Monday of this week, Alicia so graciously made us tacos for dinner. We've all been getting a little sick of pasta and it was amazing to have something different! They certainly were not authentic tacos, but delicious all the same. We didn't have taco seasoning, sour cream, or cheddar cheese... But the meat was cooked with some salsa (Uncle Ben salsa... I thought he only made rice and oatmeal?), we used a mozzarella and parmesan cheese mix instead, and managed without any sour cream.

Yesterday, the weather was beautiful. I got some pizza rossa (basically cheese-less pizza. It is delicious!) and sat in the Piazza del Popolo ("piazza of the people") and ate lunch. I didn't have my camera, but I'll be sure to take pictures soon. The piazza is only a few minutes walk from the school, so I frequent the area. This weekend will be filled with a lot of reading for school, and next week involves a few mid-terms. But with the weather as beautiful as it has been, it all seems manageable.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Looking upLooking up
Looking up

This is a shot straight up the wall. Everything is so ornate.
The tomb of Pope Alexander VIIThe tomb of Pope Alexander VII
The tomb of Pope Alexander VII

This was my favorite monument inside. The picture doesn't quite do it justice, but the marble work is incredible.
Another AltarAnother Altar
Another Altar

I'm going to have to go back and get specific names of all the pictures I have... there were so many things to take in, that my brain rejected names.
Michelangelo's PietaMichelangelo's Pieta
Michelangelo's Pieta

Unfortunately, the Pieta was behind glass and it was difficult to take good pictures. Some crazy person attacked Mary's foot with a hammer in the 70s, so now the sculpture is a little more protected.
Italian tacos!Italian tacos!
Italian tacos!

Alicia, mid-taco assembly.
Italian tacos!Italian tacos!
Italian tacos!

Alicia and AJ were PUMPED about not eating pasta.
DolceDolce
Dolce

After dinner, we attempted making crepes with the mix Andrea brought over... We were pretty unsuccessful at first.
DolceDolce
Dolce

But anything, even a doughy crepe pile, is edible when doused in Nutella.


12th February 2008

can't wait...
I looked at all the pictures on facebook too...I can't wait to see all of this in person. Especially...YOU

Tot: 0.047s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0293s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1mb