La Bella Italia


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Sicily » Taormina
January 30th 2007
Published: January 30th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Why did we choose Sicily? It was actually because the flights were really cheap so we thought "why not?".
We had read about the place just before booking the tickets and it sounded really nice, but after that we didn't worry at all, so a month later when we landed in Palermo we didn't really know where to go - we forgot our travel guide at home (very smart!).
We got ripped off by a taxi driver who charged us 50 Euros to take us to the hotel (it should have cost 30 Euros) and the hotel was only 5 min from the airport as it was stated on the website. Needless to say we were feeling a bit annoyed on our first morning (mainly Axe).
We went back to the airport to rent a car and finally start our holiday. We were on the west side of the Island but had heard from people that the East side is much nicer so we drove to the other side of Sicily, which only took a couple of hours.
The first city we saw was Catania. What an experience! It's a big city and the traffic is absolutely crazy. There is
DionisioDionisioDionisio

Made to keep prisoners captured in battles and due to the accustic Dionisio could hear everything the prisoners said from the top.
no such thing as trafic signs or traffic order in general. There are cars coming from everywhere, motorbikes with 4 people on it and cars parked in the middle of the street - no need to spend hours looking for parking when you can just stop right there!! We decided to not stay in Catania and look for somewhere else.
We drove all day on our first day, and were starting to wonder what we were going to do for six days, when we finaly came across Siracusa.
Siracusa is a beautiful city - the old, historical part of it. There is quite a lot of historical monuments and sites to see from when the Greeks had invaded Sicily. Because it was in the middle of winter when we went there the place was a bit quiet, it was hard to find a restaurant open to have a meal, but in a way it was nice to have the place almost to ourselves.
After two days in Siracusa we dicided to move on as we didn't have much more to do there. At that point we new where to go as we had finally bought a Travel Guide, so we headded to Taormina.
Taormina is the most turistique place in Sicily after Mount Etna.
On our way to Taormina we went to Mount Etna on the South Side. It's an amazing place. It gets to a certain altitude where there are lava rocks on the side of the road and nothing else. It felt like we were driving on a complete different planet. The last time that Etna erupted, in 2001, it almost destroid the ski resort on the south side. You can see the freshness of the lava rocks right there, the colour is more vibrant than on the lower part of the mount.
We spent three days in Taormina and in one of the days we went visit the north side of Mount Etna. That side was more alive, with people coming to ski and children playing with tobogans. We had lots of fun just walking in the snow and kind of getting ourselves excited about our snow trip in March.
Taormina is a beautiful place built on a hill and also with quite a lot of history from when the Greeks were in Sicily.
On our last day we left Taormina quite early and drove along the
Port of SiracusaPort of SiracusaPort of Siracusa

Siracusa is one of the most important Ports for Sicily
coast up north all the way around Sicily back to the west side. Our flight was at 9 PM so we took our time. We stoped in Cefalu, a beautiful fisherman's village. Apparently quite a lot of tourist come to Cefalu in Summer.
One more trip finnished, one more place crossed out of the map.




Additional photos below
Photos: 42, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

SiracusaSiracusa
Siracusa

We were starting to wonder why we had decided to come to Sicily until we found Siracusa
South of Mount Etna South of Mount Etna
South of Mount Etna

It's very impressive the mix of lava and ice, it gives the feeling of being in a different planet.
Picnic on the side of the road....Picnic on the side of the road....
Picnic on the side of the road....

...we had lots of salami and cheese sanduiches
Isolla BellaIsolla Bella
Isolla Bella

You can actually rent the house in the island for the night for a maximum of 10 people. Nice party venue!
The view from the villageThe view from the village
The view from the village

Taormina is undoubtebly the most beautiful place in Sicily. It is the place that made us glad we chose Sicily for our holiday.
View for the Greek TheatreView for the Greek Theatre
View for the Greek Theatre

The view from this place is magnificent, it's easy to understand why the Greek chose that spot.
TaorminaTaormina
Taormina

The village is built on a hill and to walk in the street you have to go up and down stairs all day.
Greek TheatreGreek Theatre
Greek Theatre

View of the Greek Theatre from the Castle
View from the CastleView from the Castle
View from the Castle

We walked up all the hundreds of steps to find out thet the Castle was closed, but the view was worth it anyway


Tot: 0.12s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 15; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0791s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb