The Vatican


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
July 4th 2009
Published: July 4th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Photo 1Photo 1Photo 1

These are the columns that surround the piazza of St. Peter
The pictures I have included for this are actually a combination of photos from two trips I made to the Vatican which is also known as St. Peter. See being the lazy American that I am, I went to St. Peter one day during the week and saw the huge lines to get in and said "Ahh... maybe sometime else". So I ended up just taking pictures of the piazza and stuff around it which was still an amusing time.

The day I actually got to go inside the Vatican was on a Sunday which was really lucky for me because they actually held a service there while I walking around. When you are going inside the chapel you will see lots of men dressed in goofy poofy outfits and they look very very serious. I don't know if they are intentionally trying to give the idea that they are scary and you shouldn't mess with them... or whether they are just more annoyed with the amount of pictures that are taken of them in their goofy outfits.

You first go through the big airport scanner things that xray all your belongings but what is very cool is that
Photo 2Photo 2Photo 2

This was the long line I was talking about that I didn't want to wait in.
they're not nearly as anal about if you're wearing jewelry or if you have change in your pocket etc. After that the guards have you go through a checkpoint where they briefly examine what you are wearing. Thankfully I was warned beforehand that you are not allowed to enter churches and sacred places if your shoulders are showing or if your knees are showing. The people in the church take it very seriously and will absolutely not let in anyone who is dressed inappropriately. Of course there is the long line of girls and a few topless men who stood on the side walls moaning about how unfair this was... they must have not seen the 3-4 gigantic yellow signs that had pictures demonstrating how you could not show your knees or shoulders. Sucks to be them!

Once you walk inside your jaw literally drops from the sheer size and beauty of this place. I happened to come at a time when the sunlight was shinning through the windows and I had to take a few minutes to absorb everything. It was just simply gorgeous, no other way to describe it. Everything is made out of the finest materials
Photo 6Photo 6Photo 6

Read the signs people... no nakedness!
you can imagine. Nuns and priests roam around doing their own business... people are praying quietly... people are chanting and singing the most beautiful chorals... it really makes you feel in awe and there is no way you can escape the spirituality that permeates the cathedral.

I was lucky enough to view a bit of a sermon which began and of course I couldn't understand a word the priest was saying but it was still very nice. I left in the middle of the sermon to go to the catacombs of the popes which is in the basement section of the cathedral. You can go in and view all the tombs of the previous popes and the most recent that passed away and in this section you are not allowed to take pictures. There are people who were standing at John Paul II's tomb praying very quietly and leaving flowers, it was very touching while the choir upstairs were still singing during the sermon which you could hear through the walls.

I had a fantastic time at St. Peter... aka the Vatican. I was blown away by everything I saw and if you get a chance in your
Photo 5Photo 5Photo 5

Not sure who this is.
lifetime to see it, please do!




Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

roman gaurdroman gaurd
roman gaurd

The guards looking very serious.
St. Peter #3St. Peter #3
St. Peter #3

This is the very first thing you see when you walk into the Vatican.
Photo 8Photo 8
Photo 8

Look how small the people are!
Photo 9Photo 9
Photo 9

On the side of this wall was a listing of all the popes who have ever been in power.
Photo 10Photo 10
Photo 10

This led to the Vatican museum... more on that later!
Photo 11Photo 11
Photo 11

The priest gives his sermon to the people.
Photo 12Photo 12
Photo 12

Angels hold these basins of holy water.
Photo 13Photo 13
Photo 13

mean and scary!!! Actually they were quite nice considering all the photos people take of them.
Photo 14Photo 14
Photo 14

This was in the tombs with the popes where I shouldn't have been taking pictures.


6th July 2009

Balloon pants
I'm not sure how mean and scary a person can be in poofy sleeves and pants, but ok!

Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0435s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb