Rome, prt, 1,


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
June 22nd 2008
Published: July 9th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Rome.

Hot and sweaty from Pisa we boarded an over crowed bus and played my favourite "knock out a local" game (10 points if you get a local, 12 for a child, -15 if you hit a fellow traveller. Incidently this game was modified for the pedal boats, but that is another story.) Once on board the train we found our carriage, with 4 other English women travelling together, far far more prepared than either Cat or I who had remembered to bring some water between us, these ladies had it all: crisps, sarnis, juices (complete with cups), fruit, biscuits. They offered us a crisp, but having not eaten since the night before we decided that would make it worse, and endured the rest of the journey with the smells of food making our tummies grumble.

We arrived in Rome and almost walked head long into a 10 ft black sheep advertising an energy drink, why we were not quite sure. We made our way out of the station and across to the magnificantly situated Pop Inn hostel, up two flights of stairs to the reception.

Checked in and exhausted we donned our tourist hats and headed off for a guided bus tour of Rome, hearing Rome described as an "old woman who has had many lovers, and still in her 26th generation having many admirers," and so the tourist gimmick trip continued. It was actually good fun, once you got over the patronizing voice used by the audio sheep herder, and we learnt all sorts of useful things, like the horse statue at the Tomb of the Un-named solider is so big you can fit 26 people inside its stomach and that when it was completed they added in a table and chairs and had a dinner party to mark their sucess. Whether that is true or not is left to the imagination, it is big but mainly I think that it is for their amusement...

...Back to the hostel and out to drinks with Lucy, one of the girls in our dorm who we became friends with over the rest of Italy, finding a stunningly handsome waiter to serve us cheap wine all night, I would like to hire him as my sherpa.

Now you need read the part from the vatican city, as I love the Novelty of being able to write a blog from there 😊 x

Advertisement



Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0734s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb