Vatican


Advertisement
Vatican City's flag
Europe » Vatican City » Vatican City
June 23rd 2008
Published: July 9th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Vatican.

Our first morning in Rome started with an exciting trip on the Rome subway, far far better, though not as extensive, as the London one (and Joe, I can use it, on my own!! (there are only two lines though, so its pretty easy to do but....)) and it has air conditioning! Magic.

We got off the tube at the Vatican and wandered towards St Peter's Cathederal. Being English and seeing a queue I felt it was my duty to join this queue (never mind the minor issue that I had no idea what I was queuing for....) much to the hilarity of Cat and Lucy, who thought I was just stupid, and wouldn't believe that queuing is an English tradition. We got into the Vatican area and saw the queue for St Pete's getting longer and longer, sitting on the steps near the queue we subtly merged into the front of the queue avoiding waiting hours in the boiling sun.

Once inside Pete's cassa we went into the tomb where all the many, many popes were buried, and saw the tomb of the most recent one all lit up behind the tourists where a bunch of nuns and a priest or two praying, which was a tad surreal.

Once in Pete's main area we saw cleaners with the best job ever!! They were abseiling down some religious structure in the middle cleaning it! It was outstanding inside the architecture and art work was astounding, it was hard to imagine the craftsmanship that had gone on and the patience that it must have taken to create such a masterpiece. We contemplated creating our own tour as we increasingly got annoyed with the herds of american tour groups following a woman with a stick. Thinking of telling them that the statues were really children cased in marble that came alive on the 11th of the month for one night.

From the Vatican we went to the museum passing a pharmacy sign telling us that 11.30am it was already 41 degrees, we headed off to the AC. The museum was cool, there was a lot to take in, as we battled the urge not to kill this one tour guide who described a renaissance Garden of Eden as a "wheres waldo". On the way to the Sistine Chapel we walked through a corridor of statues where there had been a penis perge and almost all of these men had been castrated, bless them.

The Sistene Chapel is suprisingly small, but the art work was incredible, though it was sad to think that history's greatest artist went blind in the process, being forced to do it and running away from Rome 7 times before being captured and brought back to the chapel to finish it with subtle "fuck you's" to the pope, though we couldn't spot any, I guess he had to be a bit careful.

Then back on the tube with Lucy to the park, where we saw a ridiculous amount of couples getting it on in hedges, catholics? I think not.

Back to Rome prt. 2...

Advertisement



10th July 2008

Hi Treens Keep up tour of Europe ! Whats been your best meal yet ? Keep cool ! Dad x

Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0464s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb