National Archaeological Museum in Naples


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Campania » Sorrento
October 10th 2013
Published: September 7th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Amazingly detailed mosaicsAmazingly detailed mosaicsAmazingly detailed mosaics

This looks like a painting, but it is a mosaic...
Geo: 40.6263, 14.3757

Another busy but fun day in Italia! Had classes and then a mad dash to get to the meeting place for the pickup of our group to drive to Napoli for a guided tour of the above-named Museo. Ate the sandwich I made this morning after arriving and then waiting for a few people. About 28 people from the school went, it was nice to have someone else think, plan, and arrange for transportation, but was reminded why I'm not a fan of tours. The guide was excellent, but of course, we had to pass by all sorts of interesting things to get to the next thing she was going to tell us about. I know she couldn't tell us about everything and my back couldn't have taken anymore as it was, but I am a fan of a good audio guide and going at your own pace... Next time?
This museum has an interesting history, the building which is beautiful in its own right started out as horse stables, then a school, then one, if not the first public museum of a private collection, the last Bourbon king of the kingdom of Naples ... The kingdom was swallowed
Super famous, battle of Alexander the Great..Super famous, battle of Alexander the Great..Super famous, battle of Alexander the Great..

Battle between him and Darius , contains one million 500 thousand tiles ( or did)
up when Italy unified back in 1862? Ish time frame!! Lots of amazing mosaics and frescos from the excavations of Pompeii and. Herculaneum as well as sculptures from those areas and Rome.

A very interesting day, we arrived back in Sorrento about 7:15, I ran across the street for some tomatoes and basil, put that together with the buffalo mozzarella I had bought yesterday and had a nice Calabrese salad for dinner... Delizioso!

It is now about 9:40 and I need to do my homework for tomorrow and get to bed.

buonanotte!



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

On the ceilingOn the ceiling
On the ceiling

To the effect- that the art should be seen...


11th October 2013

Homework...calebrese salad for dinner...are you sure you're on vacation? XXOO
11th October 2013

Glad you're having a great time! I agree with you on guided tours. I prefer to go at my own pace and on my own timeline, too. :) Happy studying! ;)

Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0327s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb