Amalfi Coast


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Campania » Amalfi
May 14th 2009
Published: May 17th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Here are some pictures of our Amalfi Coast day. The bus ride was scary at times but I'm glad I did it. If you sit on the right side of the bus, you can see over the edge of the cliffs down to the ocean. We think the bus drivers would go up to speeds of 40 miles an hour. They take up both lanes at times and oncoming traffic has to yield for the buses. The drivers honk when going around blind corners and of course the scooters zoom & weave thru traffic and past the buses. There were several times I thought we would fly over the edge!

The Gardens of Villa Cimbrone is the park in Ravello. The land was originally used in late Roman times to produce fine timber for the navy from its luxuriant vegetation. At the end of the 19th century the land had become abandoned. It was rediscovered by an English man who was in a deep depression after his young wife's death. The land brought him an intense happiness so he became determined to bring it back to life and turn it into a work of art and "the finest place in the world". I think all of us agreed at how beautiful and peaceful it is. We enjoyed drinks in the tea garden overlooking the ocean and hillside full of lemon orchards and watched the cute little lizards in the trees. The park is 1,000 feet above sea level.

Enjoy the pics!

Megan and Joe





Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 8; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0502s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb