The Wicklow Mountains and Ballsbridge


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Wicklow » Glendalough
April 24th 2014
Published: April 27th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Thur 24 April 2014,

Wicklow Mountian's and Blackrock



We decide to give Dublin a miss today and head out the country. We headed south to Glendalough, in the Wicklow mountain’s, a small historic village with twin lakes. Glendalough is home to one of the most important monastic sites in Ireland. This early Christian monastic settlement was founded by St. Kevin in the 6th century and from this developed a “Monastic City”. Within the historic ruin’s is the cemetery where some of the grave stones date back to 600AD and common grave stones from the 1600’s. We walked to the twin lakes and then headed back to the cars. Sean was then very keen to show us where he went to boarding school, Blackrock College is well known private school and as Sean was an “old boy” he gave us a tour of the collage and told us of some of the antics he got up to while boarding there. Surprisingly Sean managed to stay for six years without being kicked out.

To give the kids a break from walking around all day we headed back to Sandymount for lunch at the local and then a tour of the three pubs in town. At each pub we were greeted by stares from the locals and even more bewilderment when we spoke. You would think they had never seen or heard a stranger before. After a few pints they became a little friendlier and began asking the normal questions, kangaroos in the streets, deadly snakes and spiders everywhere. Some people have never travelled. All in all a good afternoon that ended in the normal fashion, four slightly! intoxicated adults walking the children home, luckily the kids knew the way. It was then dinner and napping on the lounge.

The end to another perfect day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

Another Sandymount pubAnother Sandymount pub
Another Sandymount pub

Make the kids do their homework Irish style


Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.03s; cc: 11; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0288s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb