Round and Round We Go...Nobody Stops, Everybody Goes....


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Limerick » Limerick
April 5th 2009
Published: April 6th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Driving in Ireland has been quite an experience!! Not only do you drive on the opposite side of the road here, but also the opposite side of the car! And if that does not shake up one's driving world there are the round-a-bouts!!! The round-a-bouts are everywhere instead of a traffic light or overpass. Think of them like a giant circle which can have several off-shoots (aka exits at home). So you must enter every round-a-bout you encounter and there are MANY! You have to yield to enter and then cautiously and carefully calculate where to exit. While Fitch & I have become more accustomed to the round-a-bouts the driving as of day three here is still über stressful. Oh, and I might add, I have yet to drive (due to fear and sheer terror)! Even Fitch has now decided (as I suggested prior to arrival, yet he mocked me) that we should return to our hotel before dark.

Not all of our transit experiences have been trecherous. Our flight over the big pond was fabulous! Aer Lingus even upgraded our seats!! Our first stop was the Cliffs of Moher which were beautiful! The landscape can best be described as majestic slices of rock perched on the ocean.

The land is lush and verdant. Rolling hills dotted with sheep define the landscape. There are towns nestled among the hills with bright, colorful buildings with signage that is ever-so-pleasing to the eye. Yesterday we stopped in Galway where Gaelic is preferred over English. Galway is a lovely town where the locals are friendly and both Chris and I were referred to as "love.". Galway is also infamous for the claddagh ring which is the crowned heart embraced by two hands. We also enjoyed fish and chips for the second night at the local "chipper" in Galway. McDonagh's fish was hmm, hmm good!

This morning we are off to Dingle and the Ring of Kerry. I think after all the driving we are going to need a Guinness or two or three.... Lucky for us there is a pub around every corner.

Hope all is well on your end "love."

Advertisement



6th April 2009

Dingle!
Jim and I LOVED Dingle!!! Its one of our favorite place and you can't beat the name. Enjoy Ireland!
7th April 2009

I was concerned about your driving out there. Good call to get to the hotel before dark. Can't wait to see the pictures when you get back !

Tot: 0.146s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 56; dbt: 0.1094s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb