Day 4 - Inistioge, New Ross


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Kilkenny
June 14th 2008
Published: June 21st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Day 4
Our B&B again tonight is the Woodstock Arms in Inistioge. It is really kind of charming and located right above the pub. Inistioge is such a nice little place. We had our breakfast and then headed to our relatives house again to meet up with more of the family. Dan (our newfound relative) showed us a lovely little church called Clodigh which survived Cromwell’s attacks because it was built in a little valley and surrounded by brush and trees and the English soldiers didn’t find it so it survived the raids. He also showed us a tiny little cave where the priest would hide when warned of an attack. It is a very small place right on the side of the road which hundreds of people pass everyday but not many people know about. It is so nice that he showed us this as this is something the everyday tourist would never know about. Clodigh is the second oldest church in all of Ireland. Kayleigh & I lite a candle and said the prayer on the wall. We also went to another church and a cemetery where we found the gravestones of some of the family members. We went to 3 houses of our relatives and at the last house we were served a lovely lunch and tea. While walking out of the little church Mom sprained her ankle. We’re hoping it is going to be ok as we have a lot of walking to do yet. We decided to get to Kilkenny since that is what we planned to do today and the time was getting on. Mom said to drive up the hill and that would take us to Kilkenny straightaway. Oh dear, was she ever wrong about that!!! We were going the wrong way and actually were heading to New Ross where we were the previous evening. So we decided to make the most of the situation and go to some things around that area. We went to the JFK Arboretum (not too much there, plus Mom’s ankle was still hurting). The man at the ticket booth said there was a very nice viewing point not far from there called the Slievecoiltia Viewpoint. We also wanted to find the Hook Lighthouse which we never did (lost again!!) but we did find the Duncannon Fort - which was closed when we got there. We were the only ones there and just walked around some, which was kind of eerie. It is located near the Irish Sea so Kayleigh and Emily got to walk along the shore of the Irish Sea. We decided to go to Thomastown for dinner but that was such a bustling little place and we couldn’t find a parking space near any restaurant on the main street so we decided to forget that and head back to our B&B and find something there. We found Footlights which was excellent! The chef gave Kayleigh extra chicken wings and even some chips (French fries). She and Emily had a huge piece of chocolate cake too! Since the little restaurant was full we ate in a little room to ourselves and got to talk with the owner a bit. Robert & I then had a pint of Guiness in the pub downstairs of our B&B and the girls and mom headed up to their room.

The sun doesn’t go down here until 11:00 at night. I love that.
Kayleigh now drinks hot tea and Emily drinks coffee.



Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Hidden Clodiagh ChurchHidden Clodiagh Church
Hidden Clodiagh Church

This is the 2nd oldest church in Ireland located in County Kilkenny
Hidden priests caveHidden priests cave
Hidden priests cave

There is a cave on the side of the road where the priest would hide when being invaded. It's not very visible to passersby.
Priests Hide out at Clodiagh ChurchPriests Hide out at Clodiagh Church
Priests Hide out at Clodiagh Church

This is the small cave where the priest would hide when being invaded.
Livestock gateLivestock gate
Livestock gate

This unusual gate does not permit livestock to enter the church area.


Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0512s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb