Goodbye to the Emerald Isle


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Dublin
August 26th 2010
Published: August 26th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Hello all,

Well.. we have just come to the end of our UK and Ireland trip now. The first two weeks were in England with friends as you read on the previous update and then we had a few days in London where we took in the sights of the Tate Modern on the south bank of the Thames and wandered through the city.. We then hired a car and headed to the west coast of Wales via Tintern Abbey (11thC) and then to the very end of the land to a little village called St. Peters where there is a beautiful old cathedral. From there we toodled (as you do in England) north to the mountains and Snodonia where we did some hiking (not enough to burn off all the big yummy english breakfasts I'm afraid) and soaked up the forests and streams. From there to Carnaevon on the far west coast where most of the little city is still enclosed within the walls of a huge and very sturdy castle right on the sea. Wonderful!

Next stop was Dublin via the ferry and a few days with my Aunt Mary in her wonderful little higgly piggly house on three levels with an ancient garden out the back complete ith medieval well and Druid stone a sort walk up the hill.... We then the three of us drove over to Kiltormer in county Gallway where my Uncle Seamus lives with his wife and family (most of the village is related) to spend time with all my cousins and their families and to attend Mary's big bonanza 80th birthday party. The party was held at my cousin Sarah's house in the country complete with a huge marquee and loads of wonderful food and of course celebratory bubbly.. we were inundated with family and had a wonderful time.

From there we hired a car again and have just got back to Dublin after spending the past three days in the south west of the country in county Kerry. We drove around the ring of Kerry - a very picturesque area of high (relatively for SA or Ireland) mountains and scenic lakes and forests and complex coastlines of little protected beaches and exposed, windswept cliffs. Some more walking and a manor house to explore.

The weather has been patchy rain, cool and some sun. Better when we were in the south and a perfect day for the drive around the ring so that was great.

Tomorrow off to Slovinia via Venice (and a ridiculously early flight) for our week of meditation in the mountains with friends from Cairns and then back to northern Italy to catch up with Dean and Anne.. so lots of adventures yet.

Will try and add a few photos too...

Lots of love.. hope you are all well. Thanks to those who have sent messages - always lovely to hear back from your end.

Jacqui and Brian.

Advertisement



30th August 2010

Sounds like
You hare having a lovely time just hanging out with teh world. We had a day that felt like spring here today. it is quite exciting! i have been getting the veggie beds into some order and Brendan, his back healing slowly, started pruning our grove. Give my regards to any Cairnites from the Kimberley trip and a big hug to Pat. Take care of yourselves. Love Anama

Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0261s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb