Day 1 -Dublin


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Dublin » Dublin
August 1st 2013
Published: August 1st 2013
Edit Blog Post

Arrived safe and sound at 9:30AM in the OLDEST airplane that Air Canada owns. The movie was a 30 year-old cartoon on a screen at the front of the plane from a projection TV!!!!

Taxi found our hotel no problem but of course we couldn't get in until 2:30PM so we checked our bags and wandered the city.

What a beautiful, historical, old city and I think there are more pubs than all the pubs everywhere else in the world added together!

Met up with our friends Damien and Sinead who took us on a little pub crawl. Had a GREAT time! We bought 48-hour hop on/hop off bus tour tickets that we plan to use tomorrow as well as checking out the 475 best places to see/eat/or drink that Damien and Sinead recommended tomorrow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

What a great statue of the infamous Molly Mallone!What a great statue of the infamous Molly Mallone!
What a great statue of the infamous Molly Mallone!

Molly Malone – or Mol Ní Mhaoileoin as she is known in the original language of the Irish is one of Dublin’s most famous citizens of the past, even though her true identity will probably never be firmly established. The millennium of the city afforded Dublin the opportunity to properly remember her with a statue, even though by 1988 the city was over a thousand years old but dates do not necessarily have to be adhered to when it comes to an Irish party.
Statue of James Larkin, Monument of Light (Spire of Dublin) in background.Statue of James Larkin, Monument of Light (Spire of Dublin) in background.
Statue of James Larkin, Monument of Light (Spire of Dublin) in background.

James (Big Jim) Larkin (21 January 1876 – 30 January 1947) was an Irish trade union leader and socialist activist


2nd August 2013

Dublin!
Now you know why I liked it 30 years ago! (Ooops you already know how old I am!) Have FUN my friends-the best may even yet to come! A.x
2nd August 2013

Looks like you guys are having a great time!! Keep the blogs coming :)
2nd August 2013

Great holiday
Hi real good to hear from you. Have joined your club. Have a draft for me in the irish pub!! B+D.
2nd August 2013

Great holiday
Hi real good to hear from you. Have joined your club. Have a draft for me in the irish pub!! B+D.
3rd August 2013

I had two for you...
And an Irish Coffee for Doris! You guys would love it here!
2nd August 2013

Hello!
So wonderful to see you obviously already really enjoying yourselves. Happy trails to you!
2nd August 2013

What a great start!
Well, it looks like you two are off to a great start with your retirement vacation! (I especially loved the "freedom 55" caption on your photo from the flight. . . . reminded me of something. :) Enjoy the next few months travelling and we will enjoy checking out your blog! All the best, Elaine and Martin
4th August 2013

Enjoy 1 for me!!!

Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0405s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb