Dublin


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Dublin » Dublin
April 14th 2011
Published: April 14th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Hello!

Ireland has come to an end 😞 last night in Dublin. Have loved every minuet of a small sample of Ireland. The people have been so friendly and the places have been beautiful.

From Killarney we drove further south to Cork via Kinsale. Kinsale is a small coast village that looks like a postcard! Colourful buildings sitting on the waterfront. It was a sunny morning when we arrived which made it looked even better. Didn't spend a whole lot of time there, had a wonder and an ice-cream then back in the car to continue our journey. Next stop was Blarney Castle. Our first actual castle in Ireland! The castle is situated just outside of Cork. Pretty castle sitting in the middle of a large garden. Climbed to the top of the castle to the famous Blarney stone. The stone sits on the top of the castle. One you reach the top you are meaner to bend backwards over a long drip and kiss the stone! I can't actually remember why you are meant to do this but google it and that will explain! I chose not to kiss the stone as every year thousands of people come to the castle to do this and as you can imagine this is not exactly very hygienic! I did get a picture of other people kissing it.

After wondering through the castle we made our way into cork and to our accommodation. Our accommodation was interesting! We stayed at a b&b, the lady there was lovely. Checked in and went up to our room. Went inside and realized it was a double bed only. Went back downstairs (no lift) and asked if we could have twin beds. Was given another key to a different room....across the street in this random house. Went upstairs and got our bags then made it across the street in the rain to the other house. It was literally a house. It felt like we were intruding. Went up to our room, which was nothing like we had. It was a little run down and not the same quality. Best part was that there was no bathroom do!! It was broken and had fallen off!!! Had a bit of a laugh but couldn't be bothered going back across the street in the rain to say anything. Was getting ready o leave when this old man came to our door and told us he was here to fix the door! So we left him to it and went to explore cork.

Cork was pretty but to be honest just another city. Nothing too special about it. The shops were fantastic but the city itself was old. Had tea and then went to a bar for a night cap. Went back to our room to find that the door had been replaced.

Next morning had tea in the main house across the street. Whatever had happened the night before was all forgiven after breakfast! It was amazing! Over 30 options on the menu and they didn't believe you when you said you were full. Needless to say we didn't need lunch that day!

After breakfast (on the 13/4) we had a boring drive day from Cork to Dublin. We stopped in Cobh for a quick photo opportunity (it was raining an cold so it was very quick) and then drove for 4 hours to Dublin. We parked the car at the long term parking at the airport so we didn't have to drive in the city. Took the shuttle bus in to our hotel.

We really only had 2 hours to have a look around Dublin before things closed so we went shopping instead! In that two hours I was able to buy 2 pairs of shoes and a handbag! Dublin is fantastic for shopping! Had tea in a local restaurant serving traditional food, went to the pub and made it back to the hotel before midnight.

Today we got up early and did a hop on and hop off bus drive through the city. Was the best way to see everything. We did a full trip first without getting off to see what there is in the city. Went and had lunch and then jumped back on to head over the the guinness brewery. We spend 3 and a half hours wondering through there. It was great. Went through each step of making the beer plus a little history behind the factory and the owner. Samples a guinness half way through and then had a free pint at the top of the brewery in a bar that has 360 degree views of the city. Now I don't actually drink beer but I did have my free pint. Wasn't bad but probably won't rush back for another one!

Wondered back through the city, stopping off at the Dublin Castle (overrated that's for sure) and then back to the hotel by 7pm. Went for dinner downstairs where they have traditional live music playing and Irish dancing. Was really good. The vodka and cocktails were great too!

So that brings us to now!

Tomorrow we drive back to Belfast and then on the ferry to Stranraer. Staying in Stranraer tomorrow night then driving back to Edinburgh on Saturday. Sunday I plan to spend the whole day sleeping. It will be my first day of actually doing nothing for this whole trip. That won't last long cause on Monday I'm off for a three day highland tour. Should be great but it will be my last organized tour for the trip. After that things will start to quieten down and I will be going at a slower pace.

Can't believe I'm half way through my trip already. I have seen so much and it feels like I have been away forever. Hopefully the next part will go a but slower. I'm not ready to come back to reality yet!

Ok I'm off to bed. Another early morning, there is still one shopping street and shopping centre we need to go to in the morning before we leave Dublin! Dublin is certainly a city I would return to. Actually I would love to come back to Ireland it is an amazing country.

Good night. B








Advertisement



14th April 2011

Hamish and Andy kissed the Blarney Stone during their Caravan of Courage Tour!!!! lol.
14th April 2011

Hi Bec
Ireland what a beautiful friendly country. I have enjoyed your travels here. I loved Kinsale as well and wanted to stay an extra day. I did not like Cork and had similar experience in Cork with our B&B (guess its all part of the travel experience)I also thought Cork was overrated and a bit dirty. But loved Dublin what a vibrant city and agree I will return. Just love your blogs keep them coming look forward to the next one from the highlands. Petah
18th April 2011

Hi Bec Your trip is still amazing and just love reading all about where you are going and what you are doing. I am glad that you went to the Guiness Brewery because when I go there in two years time that is one of the tours that we are going to go on. He had see the tour and TV so it was interesting that you enjoyed it, I don't like guiness either but Stephen loves it. I must say that I always thought that you didn't drink either, but you are spending alot of time having night caps at he pub and getting home late at night!!! Well you are on holidays anyway having a good time. Take care and keep on enjoying yourself. Regards Melissa

Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0233s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb