Iceland eruption


Advertisement
Iceland's flag
Europe » Iceland » Southwest » Reykjavík
April 18th 2010
Published: April 18th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Sooooo no blog for a long time. Well that's simply because I haven't been travelling....well outside Iceland anyways. No plans of going abroad this year.....economy not so good at the moment.

Anyway there's a lot going on here these days. There are volcanos erupting and politicians aswell. Flight all over the world have been cancelled due to ash clouds, going on for 4 days now. There's a bit of talk going on regarding the situtation of the country and people abroad seem to think that we walk around with masks and everything is going to hell. But honestly I wouldn't know there was an eruption going on if I didnt watch the news. We here in the city wouldn't notice a thing otherwise. There is no ash here and infact it's only in a rather small area of the country neer the volcano.

This eruption is slowing down a bit the specialist say, but they arent sure if that's just for the time being or if it will go back to full blast. The big worry is that 1 or even 2 others might go off aswell, and they are much bigger. Hekla (referred to as the gate of hell in the old days) is one of the biggest and most active volcanos in the country. But usually the eruptions are not so massive and rather short. It has erupted like clock work for the last decades now, 1970, 1980, 1991 and 2000, so 2010 is probable year. Helka is not a glacier and relatively isolated so it's eruption won't have a devistating affect.
If the other volcano, Katla, erupts it will have great consequences. It's situated in the middle of a very big glacier, Eyjafjalljökull (the same as the current eruption), so melting of ice will have devastating affect on a small village just under the mountains. The roads will be cut of and transportation to the east will be limited. Also the levels of ash will be much greater than now so it might affect the whole world on a larger scale, that is if the eruption will be a big one. There's always a chance that it might be a small one and be over with in days/weak(s).

So hopefully this won't affect our countrys economy to greatly cause as all of you know or financial status is quite poor. Therefore we need the income that the tourist industry brings. I understand those people who are changing their travelplans for I might do the same if I were to be in their situation. But that being said I surely hope that people do come here after the eruption(s) is over and see our wonderful country. You'll get your moneys worth asure you. So let's just see what May will bring us.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0401s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb