The image of Iceland


Advertisement
Iceland's flag
Europe » Iceland » Southwest » Reykjavík
April 6th 2010
Published: April 6th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Sit back, watch and enjoy the breathtaking nature of Iceland. (My apologies for the dirty pics, it stormed and rained on my lens all day.)


Additional photos below
Photos: 39, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Whale WatchingWhale Watching
Whale Watching

Off the coast of Reykjavik
Whale WatchingWhale Watching
Whale Watching

Dressed in an overall with five layers of clothes you hardly felt the wind or the cold.
ÞingvellirÞingvellir
Þingvellir

Almannagjá, a veritable canyon between the Noth American and the Eurasian tectonic continental plates.
ÞingvellirÞingvellir
Þingvellir

The region that stood as a foundation for Iceland's first parliament, which in 930 laid ground for a common cultural heritage and national identity.
ÞingvellirÞingvellir
Þingvellir

With Þingvallavatn (one of Iceland's largest lakes) in the background.
ÞingvellirÞingvellir
Þingvellir

The cracks show the continental drift between the North American and the Eurasian tectonic plates.
ÞingvellirÞingvellir
Þingvellir

The region that stood as a foundation for Iceland's first parliament, which in 930 laid ground for a common cultural heritage and national identity.


6th April 2010

Hey Kristine, I look forward to more of your Iceland posts. I have always wanted to go there. My blog is looking for travel photos. If you have the time, check us out at dirty-hippies.blogspot.com Continued fun on your travels, Eric
14th April 2010

To Guy:
Hey Guy! Great idea going to Iceland in the summer, the weather's much more pleasant and what little in nature that blooms does that during summer as well. We stayed at Hotel Vik, a 40 min walk from Reykjavik downtown area (the main street Laugavegur, restaurants, shops and bus station) which was really nice. But we did look at Hotel Cabin first since the price was reasonable and it included breakfast buffet. We passed that same hotel on our way to and from the city centre several times and it looked really modern and clean from the outside. Given the nice pics on their website and the fact that most passangers going on our shuttle from the airport disembarked at Hotel Cabin, I would assume that it's something worth looking into. Just in general, choose a hotel that's located no more than 1 km from the city centre and the harbour for your own convenience. The buses usually don't run early in the mornings or the late evenings and with a shorter distance it's easier to walk from and to the hotel. If you want to go on daytrips there are several agencies (Reykjavik Excursions, Iceland Excursions) that could take you out by bus for 6-9 hours, to visit areas and go riding outside of Reykjavik. My recommendation though, is that you rent a car for your family and drive to each place yourself. The Geysir (hot springs area) and Gullfoss (the waterfall) is a must to experience and you pass several volcanos and other nature attractions along the way, having the possibility to stop whenever you want when using a rental car. In the Geysir and Gullfoss area (Selfoss) it's also possible to go horse riding. Look here for som rental places: http://south.is/Home/WhattoSeeDo/Activities/HorseRiding/ And also, Laxnes Farm is one of the oldest in the Reykjavik area for horse rental: http://www.randburg.com/is/laxnes-horserental/ Hope you've gained at least something from my babble. :) And I hope you'll enjoy your stay. Take care!

Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0487s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb