Thingvellir, Geysir & Gullfoss.


Advertisement
Iceland's flag
Europe » Iceland » Southwest » Reykjavík
April 5th 2010
Published: April 5th 2010
Edit Blog Post

The rumor about Reykjavik's nightlife is true! We went out on Saturday to a place on Laugavegur called Oliver's, which happened to be the most crowded and popular nightclub in Reykjavik city centre. The music was great, the dancefloor was pumping, the people were wonderful and the beer wasn't at all as expensive as one had imagined.

Yesterday, after a long mornings sleep and a tired hangover, we took the bus out to Blue Lagoon (one of the geothermal spas) and bathed for a couple of hours. The water was steaming hot and it did good

This morning we went whale watching just of the coast of Reykjavik bay. There wasn't any action for a couple of hours until the last 40 minutes when we saw a group of what I thing was Purpoises (spelling?). From the harbour we took a taxi up to the car rental office near our hotel and picked up our rental car. We'd rented the cheapest, smallest one which we experienced just an hour later when we got up in mountains around Thingvellir, where we saw the teutonic plates (the North american and the Euroasian) that's shifting underneat that ground and parting 2 cm each year. From Thingvellir we drove through the mountains on narrow, gravelled roads that barely had room for one small car, less meeting with a jeep. It also blew up to storm when we reached Geysir, but we got the chance to see one of the geysirs spurt it's boiling water into the air before it got too cold to stay outside. At the time we reached Gullfoss the wind had picked up even more and it was difficult just walking the short distance from the parking lot to the look out place, but the waterfalls were amazing and I really hope, despite my lack of charged camery battery, that I managed to get at least a few pictures of the falls.

Now it's time for a shower and then we're driving over to KFC and Metro for some fried chicken and burgers (yeah, they don't have McDonald's on the island anymore due to the financial crises).

Tomorrow morning we're flying back to Stockholm so I should be able to upload some pictures in a couple of days!

TTFN said the kone

Advertisement



Tot: 0.11s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0541s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb