Through the lava fields


Advertisement
Iceland's flag
Europe » Iceland » South » Vík
July 2nd 2009
Published: July 18th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Route to Vik


For the first time, we our of the tent before 9 - because it's too hot! The sun is burning on the ten, and soon there is nothing to take off anymore, we have to get up. Hendrick and Carlo also soon come crawling from their tent, and starting getting some basic supplies ready for a bus tour into the interior, before heading on towards Skaftafell.
We have some coffee and breakfast, then get back on the bikes, and follow the ring road back to Vík. The road first passes through rolling green hills, but soon lava fields are all we see - for the next 50 kilometers.
When we take a break at a rest stop, we meet an American cyclist who is touring Iceland all summer long. Envy! Ah, to have the time...
Just before Vík, the landscape changes once again, and the road passes through an endless field of blue flowers. When we finally see our destination, it still takes half an hour of cycling to get there - what a tease!
Once in town, we head to the campsite, and find a cosy little spot right next to the cliffs, with birds all around us. We put
CoffeeCoffeeCoffee

For the small Maulwurf as well
up the tent, then head to the pool (you guessed it!), and then, after dinner, take a little walk along the beautiful beach. A shame the sea is so cold - Vík has one of the most beautiful beaches in Iceland. Pitch black and endless, it's like an invitation to go for a bath. But at 10 degrees, the sea isn't quite warm enough...
We decide to take the bus back to Reykjavik tomorrow, when I have the idea to try and get to the Blue Lagoon on our last day, instead of spending the day in Reykjavik.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Stony fieldsStony fields
Stony fields

On the road to Vik as well
What a beach!What a beach!
What a beach!

If the sea wasn't so cold!
RocksRocks
Rocks

In the sea in front of Vik


Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0637s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb