Iceland Complete - Reykjavik to Hofn


Advertisement
Iceland's flag
Europe » Iceland » South » Höfn
May 5th 2017
Published: May 5th 2017
Edit Blog Post

The day started with a quick tour of Reykjavik and then we left the city to go further south. We pass many areas of large greenhouse installations using geo-thermal heating and hydro-electricity growing the fresh vegetables for Iceland. The landscape is desolate and vegetation sparse. The result of 1000s of years of volcanic activity.

The countryside then changed to fertile farmland. We then visited the Gulfoss waterfalls where huge volumes of water spray and fall. We then moved onto Iceland's largest geyser which spouts every 8 minutes or so. Then more waterfalls and a black sand beach with its sea stone arch. The whole day we were driving with the huge glaciers in sight including the one which erupted in 2010 which caused chaos in Europe with ash. Interestingly Iceland had no ash but severe flooding as the eruption caused melting of the glacier and severe flooding. We overnighted in Vik.

Next day we headed through more lava fields this time covered in moss.more dark sand desserts. The government is overplanting these areas to stop sand storms but it is an ongoing problem. We pass several outlet glaciers on our way to Glacier Lagoon. This area has been the setting for Interstellar and Die Another Day as well as Game of Thrones episodes.

We boarded an amphibious vehicle for a cruise around the lagoon looking at icebergs and some seals. The lagoon is formed by the melting ice and it meets the salt water of the Atlantic sea which aids in meting the icebergs. Very picturesque.

Overnight in Hofn.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Seals on iceSeals on ice
Seals on ice

Glacier lagoon


Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0269s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb