Horsin' Around


Advertisement
Iceland's flag
Europe » Iceland » Northwest
September 13th 2013
Published: September 16th 2013
Edit Blog Post

This day started in Akureyri. We were up and out of our hotel early and we were able to walk around and enjoy this picturesque city, before hoping into the car for our next adventure.

The area we were travelling through is known for horse breeding. The Icelandic Horse is a unique breed of horse and is recognized as such world-wide. They are smaller than the horses we're used to seeing in North America but their manes are quite voluminous. Along our route we decided to pull over to the side of the road to snap a few pics of some horses we saw grazing in a field. As luck would have it one of the horses was quite friendly and he wandered over to us to say hello. We got to spend quite a bit of time petting him and exchanging Iceland stories. A few of his friends came over and also posed for a few shots. All was good until Andra realized her sunglasses were missing, we were so well treated by the horses that we hate to accuse them of theft, but if you a see an Icelandic horse wearing a pair of Ray Ban Wayfarers in the North, we'd like to speak to him!

After bidding our friends adieu we continued heading south west to the Grabrok crater in the Bifrost area; the crater had a short 5 to 10 minute trek to the top and while it was fairly large and impressive it didn't compare to the craters we had just seen in the Lake Myvatn area. We snapped a few pics and headed back to the car.

Chris then found an obscure reference in a road atlas to a waterfall not too far down the road called Glanni. Andra was skeptical but Chris insisted they check it out. Sure enough, Glanni, roared valiantly a short walk from the roadside. While Chris supported Glanni's waterfall efforts, Andra found Glanni's waterfall performance meagre in comparison to his larger more well known siblings and she didn't feel his performance was worth the stop... It's safe to say that Glanni welcomed at least 2 visitors that day but he only stole the heart of one... poor Glanni...

Our next stop was the Deildartunguhver hot spring which provides geothermal energy to numerous local towns and is Europe's largest natural hot spring. The steam rising off the
Glanni WaterfallsGlanni WaterfallsGlanni Waterfalls

The Waterfall that could! You go Glanni!!! - Luv Chris
water was impressive. We also dipped our hands into the water (well one of us did despite the warning signs and against the others concerned objections), and while it was was hot it wasn't scalding. After the hot spring we made our way to our next hotel in Rykholt where we enjoyed some happy hour beverages and a satisfying (but not spectacular) supper.








Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Grabrok CraterGrabrok Crater
Grabrok Crater

If you look closely, that little blue spec is Chris!
Grabrok's NeighbourGrabrok's Neighbour
Grabrok's Neighbour

This is looking down from Grabrok Crater on his shorter neighbour.
Deildartunguhver Hot SpringDeildartunguhver Hot Spring
Deildartunguhver Hot Spring

Largest natural hot spring in all of Europe.


Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0354s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb