Down Day


Advertisement
Iceland's flag
Europe » Iceland » North » Mývatn
July 12th 2023
Published: July 13th 2023
Edit Blog Post

Down day today. Decided after all the driving since we have picked up the Motorhome that we needed a quieter day.

Slept in till around 0900 then did the usual of shower, breakfast and clean up. Facilities at this camp site are excellent. Showers and toilets are shared so a bit compromising when you come out of the toilet and have a lovely young girl applying make up beside you while washing your hands….

Anyway, showers hot and strong (geo thermal heating everywhere) and we were lucky with no waiting involved. So hot if you aren’t careful you can scald yourself.

Packed up and decided to do the lake (Myvatn - found out vatn means lake so maybe I am double dipping). Stopped at a farm to plate place and booked dinner then did stops here and there to view the lake and it’s interesting bits.

BTW. Stephanie took over the truck today. Realised I wasn’t necessarily to blame for dropping off the verge into some of the rough edges while getting used to the extra width and handling issues of the truck. All good and we eventually made it to an information place where real parks rangers worked. Our person we spoke with was really informative and passionate about her job and Iceland. She gave us quite a few good tips on where to best view the next waterfall we are visiting and also 2 other places we should visit that most people miss/avoid. Happy campers.

Left and saw a sign for local farm produced ice cream. Why not. It is only 6 degrees and the wind is howling but ice cream is ice cream…..

Very nice, accompanied by 2 local dogs, 1 sitting at our feet waiting for leftovers while the other one sat on the hill and howled like a wolf - interesting.

Left there and went to the Nature Baths. Hot springs fed by the waste Geo Thermal power plant water. This water was around 40c and very nice. Doesn’t an hour just lounging in the hot pools skip away.

Back to the campsite and get ready for our farm to plate dinner. Decide a taxi is a better option to driving. Less hassle about reserving our good spot and also worrying about the 0.02 limit here.

Dinner was superb and our taxi driver very nice as well. All admitted that we probably needed this sort of day to re-charge the tourist batteries.

Now we are fed and watered it is bed time once again. And still bright outside. Onwards and upwards.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.357s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 42; dbt: 0.1257s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb