Run Forest Run


Advertisement
Iceland's flag
Europe » Iceland » North » Mývatn
July 11th 2023
Published: July 12th 2023
Edit Blog Post

Left our campsite with the wind blowing in our hair - well for some of us at least. Forecast said wind speeds were within the allowable range to drive the Motorhome. They said at the start that motorhomes get blown over if the wind exceeds 17 meters per second. The weather reports said the wind was 8 m/s. Not too sure as we had only gone a short distance and she was rocking again. This time with wind gusts pushing us all over the road. Managed to stay upright but maybe a few stains here and there……

At one stage there was another 1 lane bridge with a few cars parked off the side of the road. Pulled in as I hadn’t locked the power flap but also noticed the reason others were stopped. Rudolph. A mini herd of Reindeer grazing happily not far from where we stopped. Pulled in and got out for pics - not too long though - bloody cold with the wind whipping off the sea as well.

Moved on and got to the part of the road where we were meant to go through the mountains rather than along the coast. Coastal breezes were the major issue and also an extra hours drive.

This way ended up being a gravel road. Looking ahead the road went up and it was UP. Bugger it, wind seemed less away from the coast so on we go.

Views were spectacular, for those not driving. Maybe I might have snuck a peek here and there. And yes, pretty speccie. Even pulled off the road once to look back down the valley to the sea - good sight. At this point we were 630 meters above sea level (where we met the dirt road).

Even had snow (ice) on the side of the road in a few places. Luckily there weren’t too many other vehicles on this road so made it easier to manipulate the blind corners.

Found our way back down to the tarmac again and onto our target area, the only forest in Iceland (Hallormsstaour Forest). This was a must see for Chris and it didn’t fail. After lots of flat land and volcanic hills this area was a very pleasant change. Walked through the forest for a bit then decided to move on.

Nearly collected a car which decided to come out of a T intersection in front of us to turn left. Brakes worked well, but bits in the back came to meet us in the front. Guy in a truck behind the offending car looked pretty amazed that 1, she came out in front of us and 2, that I missed her. The look on her face said it all as she looked up into the face of a big Motorhome heading for her door.

Anyway, kept going to Eggilstrada for a bite to eat then decided to head to Myvatn for the night, but first a gift shop. Nice place but while I was lingering the owner stopped for a chat. Mentioned the volcano eruption. I said we hadn’t heard that much about it. She said it was 10 times bigger than their last eruption but it hadn’t blown its head and as such wasn’t as much of an issue. So much for us being here in the grip of a volcano eruption. Have to be told by a shop owner well after the fact…..

Nearly into Myvatn when we spot steam and lots of cars parked. Tourist hotspot giveaway. This was a popular area for geo-thermal activity (like Rotorua). In we go - after paying for the use of the car park. Straight away Chris and I were sent back to Namibia and their massive sand dunes at Sossusvlei, Namibia where they had a massive salt plain next to these humongous dunes. Same sight here with massive hills in the background where people were climbing to the top to get a better view of the thermal area. Good on them but not for these little brown ducks.

Evidently NASA sent Neil Armstrong and the other lesser named dudes to Iceland to train for their moon landing due to its similar terrain to the moon. This area looks like where they might have been.

Get to our campsite and setup for the night. Looking out over Lake Myvatn. Very picturesque. Still bloody cold though. Gone are the 20 degree days early in. Now hovering around 6 degrees with a biting wind. Motorhome nice and cozy so no outdoor eating ATM. Early spag bol dinner and not long before we all hit the f sack.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.398s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 47; dbt: 0.1561s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb