Budapest Part 1


Advertisement
Hungary's flag
Europe » Hungary » Central Hungary » Budapest
August 19th 2006
Published: August 24th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Had a bit of a disaster on route on to Budapest. Having spent 4 hours on the train, we spotted a glimpse of the word Budapest and rushed off. Turns out we were rural Hungary and still some way from the city centre. We had to get on another train which brough us into Buda, we then planned to get the metro, which was still being built and opening the following day. So we had to get a bus across the city and then a different metro for one stop. We spent another 2 hours wandering around on a very hot day trying to find a street called Maria Utca. It turns out there are 6 of them. Somehow we happened upon the hostel.

We decided we deserved a slap up meal and a frothy local beverage. After the tiny city of Bratislava we assumed we would have no problems locating a cheap meal. 2 more hours past before we conceded to splashing out a full 4 euros on an expensive restaurant. After a discussion with our waitress we crossed over the bridge into Buda to an out door nite club called the Garden. Had a great nite up until 4am, unfortunately it took another 2 hours of our day to find our hostel, even though it was only a 15minute walk and a straight line home.

Took a sleep in and then went sightseeing. Climbed the Citadella, when a plane doing 200mph being chased by a helicopter flew over our heads. We then relaised the Red Bull Air Race was on that day on the Danube. Then it clicked why there were roughly 50,000 people on the banks of the river. The weather was beautiful so we sat down and spent the rest of the day watching planes miss us and bridges by what felt like inches.

It was St.Stephens Day, a national holiday in Hungary, so a huge fireworks display was on that nite. Thankfully we decided to watch it on the road 5 mins from our hostel. 9pm the fireworks started and we commented on how clearly we could hear the explosions and see the flashes. Turns out it was thunder and lightning, and the worst storm either of us have ever got caught in kicked off. Very surreal with the fireworks continuing to go off in the distance. Got soaked through in crazy swirling wind and rain, as we attempted to make our way back to the hostel. Found out the next day just how serious it was, when we saw the debris and clean up that was under way.

We met 2 English guys, Mikey and Ewan, and a Vietnamese girl, Sabrina, who had just moved into the hostel. Following evening we were lured out by them with the promise of authentic Hungary cusine and the cheapest nite out in town. Turns out they were right, shared the biggest platter of non-descript meat buried in onions and chips we had ever seen. Moved to the student bar next door, where pints were 60 cents.

Regretted all the next morning when we had to get out of the hostel by 10am and figure out how we were going to get to Zagreb.

Next stop Zagreb...







Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



24th August 2006

Picking up some tips for my trip to Hungary in October! Sounds like you're having a blast. xxx
25th August 2006

Soccer???
Hi Ronan, You certainly look like you're having fun, but I thought you were off on a soccer tour. Is that just a smoke screen from your dad??Keep up the good work!
6th September 2006

Found you!!!!
Hey, I lost that little piece of paper with your email address on it. Opps! Sorry! but after a little research, I found your blog. ngocbd2@gmail.com. Email me when you guys have some free time. Enjoy the rest of your trip. I am heading out to Italy in 5 days.
6th September 2006

Betta Ax SumBodah
Alright me ol flower. Will just turned me on to your blog and it's mighty pretty. I must say you've a cracking collection of Irish shorts with you. We really don't know how to make summer clother do we? Although, on the upcoming Siberian Express, you might really appreciate the warmth of 2 and a half inches of O'Neill's cotton. The places you've been look fantastic man. You've got the weather anyway and not even Tesco can ruin your day. Don't know how long you'll keep up this blog thing, trust me, you always start with the best intentions but we'll have to see what the story is in a couple of months time once the vodka has eaten through your travel stash. I'll keep checking though, just to keep up a healthy level of jealousy. Keep it up man, and remember, Masterfoods loves you. Oh, and you can tell Ronan that we're wrecking his replacement's head at the the moment. Some bird spilled Pedigree over her lovely dress that her fiancee had bought for her, kicked up a stink, went home and through it in the wash (dry clean only), wrecked the fucker, went on holiday, comes back 2 weeks later and is demanding €200 to replace the garment which sounds lovely by the way, all covered in sequins and fake glittery stuff. U bet he misses the carefree AIG life.................
6th September 2006

I forgot something
Speaking of Blogs, which I was a second ago, I've set up a BEBO page with my lovely self featuring right the way through it. You'll find me at CaptainBri if you ever fancy checking out what's happening here in the Emeralde Isle Toodles...
10th September 2006

Hello, full after Marios!
Hello Ciaran and Drunken Polish Ronan. Hope you are well and are enjoying your trip. The two Dees just had fancy dinner, looks more appetising than hostel food. We are such old grannies! Review people's comments, cause we can't see them. No major news from here. College night out on Friday night, but don't worry we will have a toast to the travellers. Have fun! Deirdre and Deirdre.

Tot: 0.135s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 16; qc: 77; dbt: 0.0914s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb