Zagreb


Advertisement
Croatia's flag
Europe » Croatia » Central Croatia » Zagreb
August 22nd 2006
Published: September 11th 2006
Edit Blog Post

We left Budapest at 3pm on the train. We met a lovely Canadian couple who were on their honeymoon and interrailing of all things! Unsurprisingly, for the third time in the third different country we bumped into our favorite french people Charlotte and Stephanie on the train. Arrived in Zagreb at 10pm decided to follow an English couple who seemed to know where they were going, soon discovered they were lying bastards and had no clue where the hostel was. After much deliberation and consultation we located the Ravnice Youth Hostel. First hostel that we have stayed in that was actually built to be a hostel. As everyone in our dorm was already asleep we went straight to bed.

Next day we planned to spend sightseeing, but we were out of sights to see in an hour and a half. 9 pictures in a new city a personal worst for Ciaran! Zagreb is quite plain and dull compared to previous cities we visited. However the people were lovely as was the weather. They also have a really tasty local beer called "Ozujsko". Decided to eat in that night, probably our worst cooked meal so far but was also ambitious (Rice and Chicken). Met a "unique" girl called Gina. Gina has been travelling on her own for a month (not really talking to anyone) but told us all about her travels for 3 long hours. The only interruption from this "fascinating" story was from Bill a 60 year old American from Lake Tahoe. Decided we had enough chat for one evening and ran to bed, with serious ambitions for the next day.

Unfortunately they were wasted ambitions as we struggled to find anything to see or do so 3 photos later we gave up. Decided a night out was in order after all our hard sightseeing!!! When we went back to the hostel to get changed, our dorm had been taken over by 3 English girls all called Rachel (we think!). Never seen so many hair straightners, driers etc... As we were heading out we met 2 Dubs and an Aussie couple and convinced them to come with us. Must have been our riveting converation because they all lost interest before we reached the bus stop, but dont worry we soldiered on without them! Ended up going to a night club on the lake outside the city called Aquarium. Its capacity was 2,000 peolple. 15 people there including Dj, bouncers, bar men and glass collectors. Not the best night we have ever had.

We had a painful wait all next day for the train, which wasnt helped by Ronan going AWOL an hour before the train was scheduled to leave. Luckily the train was 5 minutes late and we made it.

Next stop Budapest...(the sooner the better)


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.12s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 19; qc: 85; dbt: 0.0736s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb