The city of Corinth


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece
June 28th 2008
Published: June 30th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Ancient Corinth sits on a plateau behind the modern Corinth. From the 4th to 2nd centuries BC Corinth earned a reputation for itself of a fast-living city where (in an age of loose living) the inhabitants were notorious for their vices. From this hedonistic age we get the term Corinthian, used in the early 19th century to describe a hard-living sportsman devoted to pugilism, horse racing, and yachting.


This morning was a little hectic. We got up, and shortly after eating leftover pizza for breakfast, Randi Jo and I started our chore of washing the deck. It was tedious, but fun. The lovely part of the morning was after washing the boat we got to shower with the dock hose too!!! Showering doesn't happen all that often as we mustlimit our freshwater usage. So it is heaven when we get the chance.

Arounf eleven we hailed a taxi, and drove to the ancient city of Corinth, ruins at the base of the mountain. They were not as well preserved as the Acropolis, but that makes complete sense as Corinth has experienced numerous earthquakes and fires. We saw the temple of Apollo, dedicated to Octavia, some emperors sister I believe. And I got a picture with a statue of the goddess Artemis, my favorite one.

It is siesta time right now, Lois and Gunter take a siesta everyday. It is a sleeping/reading/relaxing/calming down period during the hottest part of the day. I am sitting on the starboard side facing the Bay of Corinth. I am enjoying the peacefulness. The Bay is surrounded by mountains with houses and buildings all along the shoreline. At night the coast glitters with all the lights of the city. Beautiful!!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0401s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb