Spartan Surroundings


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Thessaly » Meteora
September 21st 2006
Published: September 26th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Mystrious KiwiMystrious KiwiMystrious Kiwi

Obligatory kiwi shot

Mycanae


After a huge Boat, Train, Bus, Cab, Wait, Bus mission we managed to make it to Mycanae.
Mum Nearly had a fit at some women in Corinth for giving us the wrong travel directions. But we made it.
After spending nearly 24hours trapped in travel mode it was quite nice to take a stroll from new Tourist Mycane up to the old ruins. Washed clean by the thunder storm that we'd sat drinking beer through, it was at first sight a rather odd location for one of the greatest and wealthiest citys of the Homeric Age (Mycanae for the uninitiated being the home of Agamemmon, Agamemmnon being the king in charge of taking everyone off to fight Troy. Tucked up against an imposing but not entirely battle secure hill, it would have been a stiking city in its day. Although not neccessarily the most secure.
It wasnt till we got to the top, where the carpark is and had a look at the commanding view that we understood its important position. Fertile well watered plans (still producing good looking olives after 3500years of farming), far enough away from sea that enemys could been seen and averted easily yet close enough
Lion GateLion GateLion Gate

Ive waited 43 years to see this!
to enjoy the riches of a fantastic trading port. As we turned to go down the hill, clouds covered the ruins from our sight in a scene straight out of a movie.
The next morning was fine and crisp, trekking back up the hill we enjoyed watching the locals out picking up Snails (For dinner no doubt). As well as our first views of the Infamous Lion Gate. Scott was well stoked - this too had been in the 43year old book.
The beehive shaped burial barrows were pretty cool as well. Whole hillsides carved out inside and lined with stones. Bit fancier then your normal grave stone.

Sparta - Mystras


Sparta was rather spartan so i wont harp on about it. Needless to say that from our hotel we could see the ruind of old spartan buildings in the empty lot next door. After so much Octopus Scott went on a fat mission and we enjoyed a rather appropriate meal of Roast lamb. Museum was also pretty neat - the bust of Leonidas being of singular note. The musculature was superb and the grin on his helmeted face was very cool.
Mystras, only 20mins by bus out of Sparta
MystrasMystrasMystras

Sleeping Beauty's sleeping city
is well wicked!!!
Its the ruins of an old Byzantine city clinging to a steep hill, capped by an impressive fortress it makes for some enjoyable ruin rambling. Large parts of the city are still standing, howver they are slowing being reclaimed by the fores. Giving it the overall impression of being trapped in a fairy tale. I was almost certain that by the time i got to the castle at the top i would come upon a sleeping princess - or at least a slumbering Dragon. Unfortunatly neither of these presented itself - there were however some very nice nuns still living in a monestry there.

Olympia


Aside from the Italian Athletics team prowling the streets when we first arrived, there wasnt much in the way of Ancient Olympia's sporting history to be seen. Im talking about well oiled muscular men here, not old ruins - of which there is a fair bit.
Awesome Pediment pieces in the museum from the temple of Zeus. Large collection of Helments and armour as well from all over the Peloponese and Mainland Greece.
Lush green park land too.




Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Acropolis wallAcropolis wall
Acropolis wall

Are you sure you don't have the holy grail?
Scott Making FriendsScott Making Friends
Scott Making Friends

Never meet a cat yet who doesn't like its head being scratched
Fresco FeetFresco Feet
Fresco Feet

Old byzantine Fresco's
Donkey!!!!Donkey!!!!
Donkey!!!!

Hate to say it but its better then a kiwi shot
Animated DiscussionAnimated Discussion
Animated Discussion

She's telling me off for gesiticulating too much. But it makes for a nice tan shot.
I didnt Do it!I didnt Do it!
I didnt Do it!

Scott and fallen columns at the temple of Zeus


7th October 2006

That's My Donkey!!!
Hey - thats my donkey... I found that donkey first and I still say my pic is better!

Tot: 0.174s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 74; dbt: 0.0941s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb