Aegina and then Mykonos


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » South Aegean
July 23rd 2006
Published: July 23rd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Aphaia TempleAphaia TempleAphaia Temple

Reconstructed 6th or 5th century B.C. temple near the town of Agia Marina on the island of Aegina.
Our departure from Cyprus was well timed. Shortly after we left they started getting 1000 people a day arriving from Lebanon and Israel. We can't imagine how the towns of Larnaca and Limassol are handling the influx of that many people. We are also concerned that they are getting no international help, at this time, to deal with all the people.

All is calm and normal in the Greek Islands. The first island we explored was Aegina which was a quick 40 minute hydrofoil ride from Athens. It is a favorite weekend destination of the Athenians and was quite crowded with local Greeks. The island's claim to fame is the Temple of Aphaia. The temple dates back to the late 6th or early 5th century B.C. It has been well restored and has most of its original columns back in place. The two major towns, Aegina and Agia Marina, are typical Greek harbor/beach towns with traditional tavernas, domatias, and small beaches with sunbeds and umbrellas for rent. The one beach surprise was that there was sand instead of gravel.

From there we took the high speed ferry to Mykonos. This was our 4th visit to this very popular island and it just keeps growing and growing. Still, it doesn't seem to lose its special charm and there are areas of the town that are the same as 20 years ago. It's a fun place to wander and constantly get lost in the maze of winding, narrow, unmarked streets and alleys. Since the streets are so narrow in the heart of the village, there is no traffic to ruin the stroll.

The meltemi winds were horrific this time. The locals were telling us that they haven't been this strong in years and years. It was like a constant hurricane or winter storm wind 24/7 every day. It would almost blow us down the stairs when we left our hotel. Because of the winds we were unable to revisit the island of Delos which was a disappointment. The trips to the island have been cancelled every day for weeks. It is really hurting the economy of the island.

So, our time was spent enjoying the town, visiting the windmills, and searching for cats and for Petros. The cats seem to be terrorized by the increase in traffic and people. There are now 3 pelicans called Petros. The real one got hit by a truck in 1985 and the people of the island brought 3 pink and white pelicans to the island and named them all Petros so they would continue to be a tourist attraction of Myonos.

Well it's time to go eat dinner and get a table by the water and see the sunset.
Yassos for now, RPM




Additional photos below
Photos: 34, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



23rd July 2006

Drooling...
I am...drooling all over myself at this pretty pictures....I WANNA GO :) Even though I didnt see my Greek God there, I still WANNA GO I saved some of the pictures to put in my screen saver... Glad you are having a good time, even with the winds..
23rd July 2006

Ditto
Amazing we have some of the same photo shots and weren't able to get to Delos either. Sooo fun rented ATV's and went all over Mykonos. From Lil Venice (Katerina's) sunset and pics of windmills. Santorini was so special too (the next stop for us). Spent lots of time in Oia. I know you'll make that Island as I think Lynne told me it was one of your favorites. Have a blast, be safe and keep the pics coming!!!
24th July 2006

Howdy
Hey Big Sis and Bro-in-Law, Glad you guys made it out of Cypress before the rush. We are operating several flights from Larnaca to Baltimore and Toronto with fleeing Americans and Canadians. Mykonos is beautiful as always. Too bad about the increase in traffic though. The world is becoming too busy. Yasou, Jim and Jan

Tot: 0.498s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 33; qc: 151; dbt: 0.1581s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb