Cyprus


Advertisement
Cyprus' flag
Middle East » Cyprus
July 14th 2006
Published: July 19th 2006
Edit Blog Post

We are back on the road and the first stop is Cyprus. Our last visit to this busy island was an unplanned stop, 7 years ago, by the airline we were flying. This time Ron did the research and we planned a visit to the west end of the island to see the town of Pafos. Luckily we arrived and left before all the flights and boats started arriving from Lebanon.

Pafos has a collection of Greek and Roman mosaics which were first discovered by a farmer in 1962. They are beautifully preserved and cover Greek and Roman myths and lifstyles. There are several houses in the complex with about 20 major mosaic floors. The entire site overlooks the sea and is located right in the heart of town.

The town of Pafos was a typical harbor town although it was more developed than we had expected. We did a drive into the mountains and up to the northwest pensisula in hopes of finding some quaint and quiet villages. However, the development has reached them and the traffic and commercialism is endless.

Other stops on our 3 day stay included a Turkish castle in the town of Pafos
7-12-067-12-067-12-06

Celebrating our 20th Anniversary!!
and a walk through the Tombs of the Kings. There were no kings buried there, they just resembled the tombs of kings. So much for the accuracy of place names!

The day before we left the planes were beginning to be diverted to Larnaca, Cyprus from the bombed airport in Beirut. It caused us no difficulties, but the airport was very crowded and all the security guards were walking around with machine guns. We were glad to be flying back to Athens to catch our ferry for Aegina. Next stop - the Greek Islands!
Caio, RPM




Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Kato Pafos MosaicsKato Pafos Mosaics
Kato Pafos Mosaics

These Greek and Roman houses from the 4th century A.D. were first discovered by a farmer in 1962. This is the site of approximately 20 mosaic floors. Most of the floors are in remarkably good condition and are considered some of the best ancient mosaics in the world.
Pafos Corn StandPafos Corn Stand
Pafos Corn Stand

A piece of home for Ron
Tombs of the KingsTombs of the Kings
Tombs of the Kings

These tombs were not really for kings, but for rich Romans and date back to 400 AD.


19th July 2006

How lovely! Glad you two are having a great time--and no flies in Cyprus, I take it? ;) I was just reading an entry from your Australia adventure a few days ago, and vividly picturing the blowflies. Ewww.
19th July 2006

WOW
First off, I am Happy to see you guys on the road again, because it means you are ok, and doing what you love again. What a beautiful place..the mosaics are astounding...the colors must have been stunning when new! oh yeah..and HAPPPYYYYYY ANNIVERSARY!!! Wow..time flies when you are having fun huh? 20 yrs...great!!! Glad you got our of there when the getting was good...scarey situation there... Hugs all round Jody
23rd July 2006

Mosaics are outstanding
Pam, thanks for showing us couch potatoes at home what there is left to see in the world. What a great place to spend an anniversary! Any comment on the singles scene for this trip for those of us who hope to spend an "anniversary" somewhere some day?

Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0288s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb