All roads lead to Rhodes!


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » South Aegean » Rhodes
August 27th 2009
Published: September 6th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Rhodes PortRhodes PortRhodes Port

This is where the Colossus is thought to have stood straddling the harbour.
Location: Rhodes
Weather: Sunny, 30°C

Rhodes was stunning and I have decided that I must come back here again for a longer period of time. Rhodes town was a change of pace as the tour I selected focused on the medieval aspects of the city rather than the ancient. The first stop was the panoramic view from Filerimos. Rhodes was a significant stop for the Christian Knights during the crusades. The monastery at the top of Filerimos has some beautiful icons of Mary. The tour then walked through the medieval aspects of Rhodes - many of the streets and buildings are the same as they were in medieval times. The Palace of the Knights of St John was rebuilt by the Italians in the 1930/40s after it burnt down, the exterior remains unchanged from medieval times but the interior is completely different. Many of the mosaics inside were taken from ancient Greek sites and use as decorative features of the Palace, modern mosaics were used to complete the ancient mosaic which would not be done today.

Rhodes the town were you buy your beer by the boot - the biggest boot is a 2 litre beer. Many of the
Monastery at FilerimosMonastery at FilerimosMonastery at Filerimos

There is a giant cross on the top of the Mountain, it was used by Christian Crusaders while at sea.
Americans from the cruise tried to drink a big boot of beer. I’m not sure if anyone succeeded but they all tried. Kathy shopped in Rhodes and I had the dubious pleasure of carting all her loot back to the ship. She may be the washer woman but I am tired of being her pack horse and donkey!

Amy



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Rhodes Town moatRhodes Town moat
Rhodes Town moat

It was never filled with water but was not a nice park in medieval times!
Through the Medieval City GateThrough the Medieval City Gate
Through the Medieval City Gate

Ready to wander the town, coffee first!


Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0257s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb