Delos and Mykonos - windy hair day!


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » South Aegean » Mykonos
August 26th 2009
Published: September 6th 2009
Edit Blog Post

View of the shipView of the shipView of the ship

Insignia at anchor in the Delos harbour.
Location: Delos and Mykonos
Weather: Sunny, 26 °C

Delos has to be the windiest place on earth! Our guide told us that there were only two types of hairstyle on Delos - the windy look or hat hair! We arrived in Delos by tender boats and it was a very choppy trip to the dock. By law no one is permitted to live on Delos or swim in its waters (except the security guards). The whole island is one giant archaeological site. The city itself must have been huge and was a significant religious centre and trading port for the ancient Greeks. No one died or was born on Delos, they had to travel to the neighbouring island for births and deaths. All food was grown on the other island or imported. Delos was throbbing with religious pilgrims, merchants and salve traders. However once Christianity became popular people no longer travelled to Delos and so the trade aspect to the city died out.

Mykonos was simply viewed from afar. Due to the high wind we could not drop anchor and use the tender boats - oh well next time!

Amy



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Avenue of the LionsAvenue of the Lions
Avenue of the Lions

These lions line the Scared Lake of Delos, conisdered to be the birth place of the God Apollo.
Mt KynthosMt Kynthos
Mt Kynthos

View of the mountain from the ship, there is a sanctuary at the top of the stairs.
MykonosMykonos
Mykonos

This is as close as we could get, rough seas made dropping anc\hor impossible.


Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0468s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb