Day 5 7th June 2013 - Ancient Olympia


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Pelopennese
June 8th 2013
Published: June 8th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Today we are setting off to cross the Peloponnese to visit Ancient Olympia, a drive of just over 100 miles. The first part of the journey crosses some fantastic mountain scenery during which, "You are too close to the edge" was playing on a constant loop to my right. Carol would like Greece to adopt her patented alternate lane system where she never has to be in the lane closest to the drop. 125 MILES TO BE PRECISE. I THINK TIM'S COMMENT ON THE ROAD WE TOOK WERE 'THERE'S MOUNTAINS EVERYWHERE AND ABSOLUTLY NO TRAFFIC PEOPLE CANT COME ALONG HERE UNLESS THEY REALLY HAVE TOO.' NO SUN TODAY BUT ITS 33 DEGREES AND RATHER HOT AND STICKY.

When we arrived at Olympia the first thing to strike you is how few people were visiting this world renowned site. I know we are a little out of season but I would be surprised if there were more that 50 people in this large site at the same time as us during the afternoon. Perhaps the coach loads visit in the morning.

It is a stunning place to visit. I stood at the place where the Olympic flame is lit. I held up my arm and posed whilst Carol took my picture. For some reason the supervisor in that area thought that was so funny she couldn't blow her whistle for a full five minutes. I haven't mentioned these supervisors before. They are at every historic site and blow a whistle every time they see someone breaking the strict site rules. It certainly keeps you on your toes.

We went to the ancient stadium where Carol did an extensive bra test in the tunnel to make sure she could run on the track. Then she was off, drawing gasps from the crowd. This may have been because the only other people running on the track were under 10.

It was my turn then to show what an Olympian I could have been. I felt the crowd understood this although Carol says they just laughed.YES WE BOTH RAN ROUND THE TRACK YOU HAD TO YOU COULDN'T GO THERE AND NOT COULD YOU. THEY REALLY DID LAUGH HE LOOKED LIKE PETER KAY SINGING THE ARMADILLO THING (good grief.) WRONG BRA, WRONG SHOES BUT DID IT AND TIM HAD TO SHOW HIS PROWESS AT DISCUS.

The museum here was amazing. You have too keep reminding yourself that some of the art is getting on for 10,000 years old. APART FROM THE STATUES YOU SEE ITEMS FOUND THAT DATE BACK TO 5 OR 6TH CENTURY BC I FIND IT HARD TO COMPREHEND THE SKILLS THEY HAD THEN. I THOUGHT BRONZE AGE WAS AFTER CHRIST WAS BORN. SEEMS I WAS WRONG SILLY ME. THEY BLEW GLASS AND LOADS OF OTHER STUFF TOO.

Our overnight stay was at the Fotis Rooms at Kalakeika which were above a taverna. These were really nice and family run. OUR ROOM OVERLOOKED THE SEA JUST IT WAS ABOUT 1 K AWAY.WE DUMP OUR STUFF AND HEAD FOR THE BEACH FOR A WELL EARNED DUNK. BLISS BUT THE WATER THIS SIDE OF GREECE IS MUCH COLDER THAN THE OTHER.

HIGHLIGHTS OF THE BEACH TRIP WERE 1...WATCHING A DIGGER TRYING TO MAKE THE BEACH LOOK PRETTY AND 2 SUNBATHERS REFUSING TO MOVE. I WOULD LIKE TO THINK THAT THEY WERE NOT BRITISH BUT THE FEMALE HAD A TATTOO ALL DOWN ONE SIDE OF HER BODY SO MAY BE AN ESSEX GIRL. (like Carol.) 2...AND THE BEST BY FAR WAS WATCHING A 4X4 CAR CHARGE ACROSS THE BEACH AND THEN GET STUCK UP TO ITS AXLES IN SAND. THE DRIVER A MALE THEN GETS OUT OF THE VEHICLE PUTS OUT A CHAIR AND SUNS HIMSELF WHILST THE PASSENGER A FEMALE IN A WHITE BIKINI PROCEEDS TO DIG THE VEHICLE OUT OF THE SAND USING ONLY HER HANDS. WELL YOU HAD TO TAKE A PHOTO DIDN'T YOU.

No one will believe that I didn't take the photo. I think we got her best side. It was clearly womens' work. He did the classic man thing (and I say this as a man) that just one more try will get you out where as you just dig yourself a bit further in. He was clearly tight as there was a massive tractor working on the beach who would have pulled him out for a few Euros. They may still be there as we left before she had made much progress.

We ate at the taverna below our rooms. This was a bit of a shock for the family who were just settling down to watch basketball on the telly. They did a star burst and prepared us a really nice meal, although the chef did keep popping out to check the score. This was the most authentic feeling place we have eaten so far.

Delphi tomorrow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0379s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb