Mediterranean Cruise 2012 - Argostoli


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » North Aegean
October 24th 2012
Published: October 24th 2012
Edit Blog Post

What another magnificent Greek Island! We arrived to blue skies and sunshine which has been normal for the majority of our trip so far - beautiful balmy weather and a lovely town to visit.

After ringing our mothers , to ensure they were okay plus it was nice to hear their voices again we walked about 15 minutes from the ship to the town - all souvenir shops and restaurants were open but very few other shops were... being Sunday. We saw the Bell Tower in town and apparently a lagoon - Katavos Lagoon was once a swamp swarming with mosquitoes and rife with malaria is now a healthy feeding ground for Loggerhead Turtles. John and some others saw these turtles swimming around the ship as we docked in Argostoli.

To the northeast of Argostoli is a town called Sami, which was the city that the film, 'Captain Corelli's Mandolin' was filmed.

Interesting to note some houses had solar panels and on the mountains there were wind farms. Some areas were very green and others just desolate, but the town itself is very picturesque.

We didn't do much just relaxed and got the blogs up to date and had a couple of coffees and ice-cream at the local Haagen Daz shop. Loved the signs on the toilets there to show the ladies and men's... tickled my funny bone it did.

We found an ATM and got some more Euros as we have quite a few places to go to yet. We've had to use mainly Euros in most places but occasionally the Turkish Lire, Kronor and at times the US dollars - think we're okay now with Euros until we reach London and have some British pounds with us.

I note a few comments stating that we've not had a photo of us drinking - well you will soon enough!

Just about to head off to a late dinner - another formal night and then back to Santorini tomorrow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.239s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 14; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0636s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb