Corfu and Paxos


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Ionian Islands » Paxos
May 23rd 2021
Published: May 23rd 2021
Edit Blog Post

The further adventures of Ed and Michele... well they have calmed down! And we have enjoyed an amazing 10 days of Corfu and Paxos!



Flying into Kepkypa (Corfu town) the capital of the island of Corfu, we picked up our rental car and drove the 30 kilometers to the west edge of the island. The island is 39 miles long by 17 miles wide with a population of @ 102,000. Initially thinking, we would quickly cover the island, but the roads meander all over the place, slow, narrow, but fortunately not much traffic. And after 6 days we only managed to discover the top half of the island. But it is gorgeous!! Every corner seems to display jaw dropping scenery of beautiful crystal clear beaches.



We arrived in Liapades, shown our beautiful room and immediately asked if we could stay a 3rd night!! The view was perfect, about 5 minutes walk to the beach and a 5 minute drive to the Old village, where it appeared the only restaurant in town. The gentleman had lived 12 yrs in Hamburg, Germany as a chef and returned to his village during the pandemic, working at this restaurant. The food was great and we enjoyed all 3 dinners there. We spent the next 2 days just driving along the W side of the island. The roads are narrow, but there are very few cars on the road.



Then we moved to the NE side of the island to Kassiopi, which had the most beautiful harbor with the crystal clear water. Most of the beaches are rock and we are told that is part of the reason for the clarity of the water. Just sitting at the harbor, staring out over the water, it is fabulous. Across the sea we can see Albania with its snow capped mountains. We continue to explore the area, looking for an old monastery and stumble on Old Pietra, an old village that is being restored in the mountains.



Then a quick drive back to Kepkya for the night, staying in old town at Locandiera, a lovely guesthouse with a great breakfast. There are lots of tavernas and patio cafes with alot of people out and about. Knowing that Greece only has about 8% of its population fully vaccinated, there is some concern to see so many unmasked at the cafes. But everyone we talk to is cautiously optimistic of a return of the tourists.



We buy tickets to Paxos an island @ 30 miles south of Corfu. We are the only ones on the one hour bus ride to Lefkimmi and then another hour on the ferry to Paxos. It is windy and the ferry abit bumpy. I start to rethink the idea of a multi day sailing trip.... On Corfu, everyone we talked to when we said we were going to Paxos, we would get this sigh, 'ahhh Paxos' it is beautiful. And considering the scenery we saw on Corfu, we could not believe it could be any better.



But it was! We stayed 3 nights at a beautiful villa with another gorgeous view of the ionian sea. We spend 2 days renting a motorbike and i think travelled on every road on the island. The island is @ 7miles x 3 miles with a population of @ 2500 people and 64 churches. We could easily have spent more time here and truly hope to return. The island is very green, hilly and amazing vistas. Riding the motorbike, i did feel like i was in a movie set. The multi blue colors of the water, the sail boats, the bougainvilla and jasmine vines, with the largest geranium plants i have ever seen! And around every corner was another church with a bell tower!



We leave this afternoon for the ferry back to Kepkypa for the next 2 days.


Additional photos below
Photos: 39, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Path to the BeachPath to the Beach
Path to the Beach

sometimes abit hard to fine...
the path to the archthe path to the arch
the path to the arch

Took 3 attempts to find


23rd May 2021

Gorgeous
Gorgeous!!
23rd May 2021

Beautiful !!!
Amazing pics. That water!
24th May 2021

Thanks Fred!
Hope all is well!
23rd May 2021

Olives you will see
Hi Ed and Michelle: Looks like a lovely place. Glad you are getting around without a hitch. Have fun and stay safe. Grant
24th May 2021

So beautiful
Thank you for sharing another grand adventure.

Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.031s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb