Departure from Ionian


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Ionian Islands » Lefkada
October 9th 2010
Published: October 9th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Wednesday to Saturday - October 9, 2010
What a great last few days in the Ionian. On Wednesday, given the forecast for some heavier wind over night, we elected to return to Kalamos - a known harbour with good shelter and good holding. We had a great sail from Sivota over to Kalamos. As we arrived at the south end of Kalamos, the wind mostly died and was in the wrong direction. It was on with the engine and down with the sails. As we went north between the two islands the weather arrived! Rain and wind with a little thunder in the distance. We were glad to be close to harbour. The winds picked up to 30 knots and the heavens opened. Don did a quick loop around while we got set. Fortunately the wind was a little less as we entered the harbour and our previous side-to berth was still available. George, the taverna owner and volunteer berth organizer, was there to catch a line from the stern and I had the chance to jump ashore on the beam and get the bow secured. All was well and nicely secured but I was glad it wasn’t this difficult on our first days! The forecast for Thursday night was also for stronger winds so we decided to have a day ashore and enjoy a walk and swim down by the little beach by the windmills and generally relax before returning to Lefkas on Friday.
Friday morning we set off a little earlier and sailed most of the way (21nm) we had to tack a little and mostly the winds were strong enough though a little light as we got closer to Lefkas. With the rain of Wednesday the sky was clear with no haze and just a few clouds. A perfect last day afloat!
Friday night we had yet another great meal and then on Saturday morning saw Christina and the Hills off for their return by bus to Athens and then home. Don and I get to relax, sort the boat and pack then off to my Mother’s in England for a generous week before returning home.
What a tremendous holiday - We have truly “gotten away from it all”. Four weeks seems a little indulgent but has been a perfect break away from the routine and stressors. Only the forecast to check and the decision as to where to go to tomorrow and not to mention the backing up to the quay Mediterranean style! It’s hard to believe five years ago that we would have the opportunity to do this trip. Our sincere thanks to Sheila, James, Elizabeth, Christina, Ian and Eileen for joining us on this adventure. It has been a wonderful experience, Don and I have learnt lots, had great company, soaked up the Ionian and been able to share the whole experience and memories. Thanks also to Sailing in Blue and our skipper Telemahos who guided us for the first few days. We can now draw on our memories and mull over where we should next.
Happy Thanksgiving.



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0535s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb