Mediterranean Cruise - Piraeus - Athens


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Attica » Piraeus
June 14th 2016
Published: July 3rd 2016
Edit Blog Post

We split up today. Kevin stayed Round Piraeus and I took a Hop on Hop Off bus tour of Athens. It was good to have a look around having last been in Athens in 1979. It was disappointing to see graffiti everywhere and the scaffolding around the Parthenon. So glad that I saw it all those years ago. I got off and had a walk around the markets. Bought some delicious pistachios and then went into the fish market. Pleased to note that it did not smell. Fresh produce everywhere. The displays by the vendors were interesting with the fish bent in the middle and displayed "like soldiers" as one of the vendors explained to me. Aftr a walk around the surroundings streets I got back on the bus and eventually the boat.

Piraeus.

Kevin headed off towards the archaeological museum and noticed a few things on the way. First, it seems Greece doesn't have passing laws with cars parked on corners at intersections and it is not uncommon to see cars parked two or more abreast. Second, traffic lights don't appear to apply to motorbikes as they don't stop at red lights. The museum was quite cheap and had a number of interesting items on display. Kevin decided to try and find the Pireaus line on the waterfront but kept running into dead ends so went back to the ship for lunch. In the afternoon he went for a walk along the port. Nothing of interest except for some gum trees.

15 June - Today is a sailing day. Passing the Dardanelles and heading for Istanbul. The cruise director gave a commentary of the area, it's history and of the ANZAC tradition. The Gallipoli landing area was on the other side of the peninsula.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Acropolis and ParthenonAcropolis and Parthenon
Acropolis and Parthenon

Scaffolding up for restoration work
Graffiti trainGraffiti train
Graffiti train

I think they gave up trying to clean it and it wears graffiti like a badge of honour
Display of Turkish fruitDisplay of Turkish fruit
Display of Turkish fruit

Sail into Turkey. Meal on deck


Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0448s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb