Mediterranean Cruise - Nafplion


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Pelopennese » Nafplion
June 13th 2016
Published: July 3rd 2016
Edit Blog Post

A tender today because of the small harbour and today we were on one of the large tours. A 25 minute bus ride to Mycanae with another commentary on ancient Greece and mythology. The Mycenaen Acropolis 1400 BC overlooks the Argive plain. The site was excavated by Schilemann in 1874. The main entrance to the citadel is the Lion gate which is 12 metres high and 5.5 metres thick. It was built in the period 1350-1200 BC. The site gives an indication of the life and work of the Myceneans including the family of Agamemnon Who provided material for the Homeric poems. Great views of the olive trees and the plains. We then stopped at the Treasury of Artemis - the best preserved example of a tholos tomb (1250) BC.

Next stop Palamidi Castle. A fortress built in the 19th century overlooking the city with 8 self contained bastions. It took 3 years to build. It has the usual history of takeovers from Venetian to Ottoman to Greek. There are 913 steps in the winding staircase from the town to the fortress but over a thousand to reach the top of the fortress. We chose the bus.

In the middle of Nafplion harbour sits an island containing Bourtzi Fortress. Built in 1471 to protect Venetians against pirates.

Next stop Athens - port of Piraeus


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0285s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb