Athens and the Island of Santorini


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Attica » Athens
September 26th 2009
Published: October 11th 2009
Edit Blog Post

SantoriniSantoriniSantorini

Beautiful Caldera views
Hello,

9/26 -

Morning of 9/26 we took a bus back up north to Athens. We were a little sad to leave our great setup in the beautiful town of Kardimylia.

We arrived in Athens and found the city bus we needed pretty quickly. After taking a metro train to our intended area, we discovered the hostel no longer exists and no others were in that area. Back on the metro to the Acropolis area, we were sure to find places there. First place full, second as well, except for a little closet on the roof - i kid, but it was small. Great views outside the room of the acropolis and athens though and at 25 euros a night, a nice score.

On 9/27 we took a five hour ferry to the island of Santorini, we arrived at midnight. There were plenty of establishments offering a lift to their place so we took one to an area we thought we wanted to be in. There wasn't really much choice in the matter. It was late and as we saw shortly, the port is completely isolated down a huge cliff from the rest of the island. It worked out pretty good, a decent place, and 30 euros a night is the second lowest we've had.

Santorini is very pretty. 9/28. It's volcanic, so most of the beaches are black. We hung out at one for the day and then decided to rent a scooter. 12 euro for 24 hours and 4 more fills the tank. It was Claire's idea. Coming back home to Fira (small town/area on island) from the beach was mostly uphill and again, I kept reminicising about one of the top 3 movies of all time. Got a little nippy coming through the pass huh Harry? Yea, we looked just like that. We love riding a scooter around Greek islands. By the way, September is the best time to be in Greece, because it's still warm but after the high season. Apparently the Greek islands are yard sales (read WILD capitalism) during the summer months. I can see how this would be; there's some sort of scooter, dune buggy, or four wheel thingy rental on every corner and enough hotel rooms for each stray cat on the island, if they all of a sudden developed the means and will to pay for such things. It's not so bad this time of year though. Basically, I'm saying that I would never want to see what it's like on the "Jewel" of the Greek islands in peak season.

9/29. We went to famous "red beach." Very cool, looked like Mars, from what I've seen, in pictures. Afterwards, we checked out the Caldera views (just refers to structures built right into the cliffs). We had a beer at a pool bar on the cliff and soaked it in. REALLy something special. I can see why this place is known as special with that kind of a setting. At night we went to the most northerly part of the island which is known for the fresh fish. We had dinner right on the water during sunset. Claire was grossed out by my fish because it was looking in her direction. Afterwards, we cruised along cliff winding roads in mostly moonlight and some waning specks of sunlight. What a beautiful time we're having here in Greece.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Picture 054Picture 054
Picture 054

sunset dinner on santorini
Picture 043Picture 043
Picture 043

"red beach" on santorini
Picture 037Picture 037
Picture 037

structure at acropolis in athens
Picture 056Picture 056
Picture 056

waiting for the ferry in santorini
Picture 058Picture 058
Picture 058

sleeping on the ferry. money belts make great eyewear.


11th October 2009

santorini and other islands
ry, if you are still on santorini go to the boutari winery. it's good wine and you will learn alot. what other islands are you going to? folengrandros is just beautiful. it was one on of my favs. have you had greek salads yet? yum, the feta is the best in the world ; ) trip looks awesome...jealous!
14th October 2009

Nice picture Ryan
Know how I know you're gay?
17th October 2009

Great photos...fantastic views. What a trip!

Tot: 0.268s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0457s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb