Day trip to Gibraltar


Advertisement
Gibraltar's flag
Europe » Gibraltar » Gibraltar
September 29th 2008
Published: December 31st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Another dark and gloomy day. Who says that its always sun shining in Spain. We thought we would try to make the most of it. We headed out about 10:00 and drove down the windy coast. The coast around Tarif is very popular for windsurfers and kite flying as it is known as the windiest part of Spain. Today however the wind was calm, and the rain fierce. Steve drove white knuckled most of the way. We arrived in Gibraltar with a sense of relieve and did what most people do once they cross into the UK, and walked across the airport runway into the town of Gibraltar. Gibraltar is a very quirky town with its mix of African, Spanish and British residents. Gibraltar must also be known for having the most Duty Free Shops in one small area. Every other shop must have been duty free. We walked down the main street to get a sense of the town and to find out if we could hire a taxi to go to the top. Apparently this is the best way to the Upper Rock and all the sites along the way. We hired a tour guide to drive up and show us the various spots along the way and also get a history lesson of the area. Very Interesting! We saw the following sites.

- St. Andrews Caves
- The Ape's
- The Siege Tunnels
- Hercules Pillar

After the tour we headed back towards the main strip in search of UK's famous Fish n Chips. Unfortunately the place that we stopped at didn't have the best, but were good enough.

Throughout our tour it rained on and off. During Lunch is when it really came down. I said to Steve this must be the UK, it's raining. After lunch we decided we had enough of this quirky country and headed back to the car. As we were walking back to our car I looked back at the Rock and saw this dark rain cloud hanging over Gibraltar.

Just for fun and plus we didn't know how the weather would be the next day. We stopped at the beach and played in the surf. September is not the best time to be lounging on the beach trying to get a suntan. The beach was a little cold. I could not resist to dip my toes into the Mediterranean. The water was refreshing. Steve and I were walking along the beach when this wave got us both really good. I had taken my shoes off, but Steve still had his on, and got a good soaker. Too bad we didn't get it on camera.

We drove back to our hotel to put on some dry shoes and headed out for some dinner. We wanted to go back to the Moroccan Restaurant in town but unfortunately they were full for the evening so we had to find an alternative. We went to another restaurant call Trafalgar, and had a wonderful dinner with a bottle of very nice Spanish wine.




Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0483s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb