A Day in Gibraltar


Advertisement
Gibraltar's flag
Europe » Gibraltar » Gibraltar
October 20th 2008
Published: October 20th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Stylin' on the planeStylin' on the planeStylin' on the plane

...Complete with sleeping blindfold.
Hello from Marbella, Spain! Brad, Janie, Greg and I are here for a few days, enjoying the Spanish Riviera. All the vegetation is the same as in Mesa, just healthier and bigger. Maybe that's what it's supposed to look like at home!
We drove to Gibraltar today, after sleeping 12 solid hours to overcome the jet-lag (kinda worked, kinda didn't). We had the greatest cab driver, a Gibraltar native named Douglas. He drove us all around the island, telling us stories of Gibraltar's history and what it was like to grow up there. We loved him , and he was worth every penny (or pence, you might say)! The weather was cloudy, and we couldn't see Africa, but we hope to get there in a few days. I think my favorite part was the macaques. They were pretty friendly, and one even jumped on Janie's back, which startled her pretty much, as you can imagine! We laughed and laughed! We toured St. Michael's cave and the secret military tunnels dug in the 18th century and during World War II.
On the way home, we found a Carrefour, a store we all became familiar with when Amy and Hubert lived in France,
Driving up to GibraltarDriving up to GibraltarDriving up to Gibraltar

The traffic was nasty.
so we had to stop. I found boots that I've looked and looked for in the States. Janie, however, was a little disappointed that they didn't carry the chewy fruit candies that Hubert usually brings home from France. But the BOOTS!
When we got back to the Marriott, the sun was setting, so we ran down to the beach like four "stupid Americans." Hardly anyone was there, so it was peaceful.
We're looking forward to tomorrow, when we head to the Alhambra.


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

Waking up quickWaking up quick
Waking up quick

Just need a little caffeine.
Gibraltar monkeysGibraltar monkeys
Gibraltar monkeys

They crawled all over our car looking for food. One was licking bugs off the windshield wiper.
Mom in one of the military tunnelsMom in one of the military tunnels
Mom in one of the military tunnels

That's right, we convinced her to go into an actual cave!
The view out a cannon openingThe view out a cannon opening
The view out a cannon opening

This is looking down into town from one of the battlements.
Word of wisdomWord of wisdom
Word of wisdom

They don't mess around with the cigarette warnings here.
Lookee my new boots!Lookee my new boots!
Lookee my new boots!

Jenny found some she likes at Carrefour, the Spanish Wal-Mart.
Beach at sunsetBeach at sunset
Beach at sunset

This is back at the hotel near Marbella.


Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0738s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb