Walk to Burg Eltz


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany
June 14th 2016
Published: June 16th 2016
Edit Blog Post

14 June 2016

Today a group of about 20 of us went on an 18k walk to Burg Eltz, a castle in a remote but very attractive location. The going was fairly rough and steep to begin with and Wendy and I soon dropped behind the rest of the party. We arrived at the castle just as the others were about to leave on the return trip. However we wanted to take a guided tour of the inside and treasury and we eventually started for home at about 3 which should have given us plenty of time to get back in time for our dinner which was arranged for 7.30 on that evening. All went well until we were about 3k from Treis-Karden when what was an easy track in an attractive location above the river suddenly turned into a very rough and narrow path which went up a gully to bypass a cliff. At one point the going was so steep there a cable was in place to haul ourselves up. All this meant the last part of the walk took us two hours and we only made it back for the meal with about 10 minutes to spare. However although we were tired we had a thoroughly enjoyable evening.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.12s; Tpl: 0.031s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0267s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb