Soviet Union Memorial


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany
July 31st 2014
Published: August 6th 2014
Edit Blog Post

After visiting so many historical places in Berlin, I decided to go check out the Soviet Union Memorial as it is locally known, “Tiergarten”. This memorial is truly one of a kind surrounded by an enormous beautiful park with any gardens. This memorial was built to commemorate soldiers that lost their lives in the Battle of Berlin in 1945. Many soldiers were lost in the battle northward of 80,000 soldiers from the soviet armed forces lost their lives in the Battle of Berlin. In the memorial there is an explanation in English that this is the burial site of over 2,000 soviet soldiers. This memorial is truly special to the City of Berlin as you can see the Brandenburg Gate from the memorial. This memorial in itself was an amazing site to see the marble columns were beautiful and the statue of the soviet soldier is particularly stunning and well worth the time to go and see the memorial. The memorial today is the site of active commemoration but they only happen on may 8th , however, everyday there are many tourist like myself checking out the memorial.


Additional photos below
Photos: 2, Displayed: 2


Advertisement



Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.043s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb