Germany with Rain


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany
May 29th 2013
Published: May 29th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Hull arrived quickly; however, Port Security picked us out for a search. Our caravan and car were inspected inside and underneath and Michelle was subjected to a body search. Goodness knows what they expected to find, Afghans trying to sneak back into Afghanistan?

On board, we found our cabin to be really nice but, we had a shock when we went to have tea, finding the cheaper restaurant had only a buffet at £18.50. Michelle went off to the posh brasserie, however, she found that their cheapest meal was the same price. It took some investigating but we eventually found out that we could have a pizza in the Costa Coffee for £4.59. A 'no brainer' for us but the pizza was either, made on the premises and baked in a traditional olive wood pizza oven or, bought from Tesco and cooked in a microwave; you decide which was the most likely.

We disembarked at Zeebrugge and drove through rain the 200 miles to Camping Berger, 5 miles from Cologne on the Rhine. The staff here were not friendly but polite and helpful, which proved useful as Michelle's toothache, which was a little troublesome before we left, became too much of a problem. An appointment was made at a wonderful dentist and root canal treatment was soon diagnosed. Three people were present, the dentist, the dental nurse and the receptionist who held Michelle's hand! 90 minutes and £400 worse off, we left the dentist but Michelle was a much happier person. We decided that night to eat in the campsite restaurant, but had to pay £11 each for spaghetti and prawns, this was the cheapest thing on the menu. The tuna was £27! Next day we rode our bikes into Cologne, which is a very pretty city with an impressive cathedral (The Dom). The rain held off for this trip, however, as it had rained most of the rest of the time, we uprooted and set off south for Heidelburg in search of better weather.

Here, our lovely campsite was at Neckargemund on the River Neckar and we found it in pouring rain and cold. We walked through the rain however, to the nearest beer house and had a couple of drinks with the locals. Next morning we set off by bike along the river for Heidelberg's famous centre, nearly 7 miles away. Terry had visions of standing
Strange BuildingStrange BuildingStrange Building

It is not a deception but I am sure it should fall down
on a table in a beer garden and singing 'Drink Drink Drink' like in the Student Prince. However, that scene seemed to elude him. Not that there are many students here; mainly tourists as could be seen when we took the funicular to see the Castle. No Germans on this train just about 29,000 Japanese and 18,000 Americans. Each carrying at least two cameras which meant we are probably on 94,000 photos around the world, as they never stopped snapping. Of course the Japanese follow an umbrella like ducklings follow their mother; however, the Americans have moved up market, their guide, Scott, had given them all WiFi headphones, although they were not necessary with Scott's voice!

After an exhausting day we returned home as quickly as possible, as the rain had started again. Wet and absolutely shattered, we collapsed in the caravan and decided not to go out.

The weather had not improved and the forecast said another full day of rain. We decided to move on to Freiburg in the south. It will be raining there also but it may be warmer.

How wrong we were, it was 8 degrees on the motorway, still it is
On the way back from HeidelbergOn the way back from HeidelbergOn the way back from Heidelberg

Heidelberg Schloss above Michelle's head.
warm in the car and we might as well travel when it is raining. We arrived at Hirzberg Camping and set the caravan up in pouring rain. We then settled into the caravan with the heater on and Terry, soaking wet, vowed not to go out again that day. Despite all the weather forecasts we woke in the morning to bright sunshine and spent a nice day in Freiburg. In the evening we met up with our long standing friend Benedikt who now lives and works in Freiburg. Together we had a meal (with beer of course) and a trip round more sights.

Another day of sunshine the next day and we saw more of the lovely town but we must move on. Not even sure yet of our next stop before our final destination of Italy.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

 With Benedikt With Benedikt
With Benedikt

On a hill overlooking Freiburg.


2nd June 2013

Roll on Italy
Oh dear - still a tent would be a lot worse!! Hope you are finding more sunshine. Italy will be fab!! x

Tot: 0.348s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0654s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb