Amiens and Home


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Picardy » Amiens
August 5th 2012
Published: August 5th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Amiens was a city Terry always wanted to visit again after reading his favourite book 'Birdsong'. There is only one campsite and it was not good, expensive with even more expensive WiFi, therefore, we reduced our stay from one week to 3 days. The weather also was no longer good, more like an English summer.

First opportunity though we were off to the city centre. 'Birdsong' describes the beauty of the canals built by the Romans alongside the River Somme. The heroes of the book fall in love there whilst travelling in a punt. You are no longer allowed to wander around these canals by boat so we had to take a tour in an electric powered punt, however, this was fantastic. The canals are built within very fertile soil and locals compete with each other for the best garden; this, together with the natural beauty, makes it an experience not to forget.

Next day we went to Peronne famous from WW1 and apparently with a great war museum. So it had, but with a hefty admission of €7.50 only just worth it. Nice pleasant town though.

Amiens is very pretty with many cafes alongside the river. We could have stayed longer but as we said the weather was bad and the campsites are worse in northern France. We were 99 kilometres from Calais and suddenly home was calling. One final campsite at Boulogne which was probably the worse we have stayed on at €25 per night, €1.50 for a shower and a massive €4 per hour for WiFi.

Altogether not the best holiday we have had by far, and full of catastrophes, but we have learned a lot and seen some wonderful places.

Is caravanning for us? As they say 'the jury is still out'!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Canal ViewCanal View
Canal View

Who could not fall in love along here.


Tot: 0.306s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0736s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb