All Saints Day


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany
November 1st 2008
Published: November 2nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

DAY 4

Beth gave me the day off, so I got to sleep in. 😊 It was an absolutely gorgeous Saturday (high of 14 degrees C). I sat outside on the porch/patio enjoying the SUNSHINE!

In the afternoon Beth took me for a walk around her town, Hofheim. It's fairly small, and since today is "All Saints Day" all the stores were closed. (Yesterday we had to buy enough food stuff to last until Monday because of the holiday today and then the stores are closed on Sundays).

I had fun being the "tourist" though! Taking pictures of signs, buildings. All the stuff I never let myself do in Honduras. 😊 It is nice though to not stick out like a sore thumb just because I'm white. LOL. Although I'm sure I'm rather clearly "American" it's not as glaringly obviously.

After the "tour" we drove about 15 km away to hike up to see an old castle ruin. It was a perfect day to be outside, so we also walked through the woods and then by some fields. The weather, woods, fields aren't all that different from Michigan, but the whole set-up and concept is
FirehouseFirehouseFirehouse

(that's for you Rachel!)
different. All the people live IN town and then there are just the fields and woods out of town. It really lets the country be "untainted" in that rather than random houses and buildings there's just rolling hills and forests.

People really enjoy the outdoors I've seen. Lots of couples and families take walks on the paths by the road or through the fields. There is always someone jogging with their dog too. It's fun to say, "Hallo" to those we pass. Most are friendly and greet us back.

On the drive back home we saw a lot of people walking toward the cemetery. There must have been a ceremony or something for "All Saints Day". Later that night when we passed by there were candles lit on all the graves. Here you're allowed to be buried in the plot for about 30 years or something (I don't know the exact time), but then the plots are dug up and someone else is buried there. Interesting. But the graves are really well kept and beautiful.

Tonight we went over to some friends of Beth who also work at the clinic. They made us an amazing dinner and then we watched James Bond: Casino Royal in preparation to the new movie coming out.

Fun, lovely, relaxed and refreshing day!!! 😊




Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

April: "HORSE!"April: "HORSE!"
April: "HORSE!"

Beth: "What? Where?" April: "You just stepped in it!"


Tot: 0.375s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0909s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb