Munich, Prague, and Berlin


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany
August 8th 2007
Published: August 9th 2007
Edit Blog Post

So, next up was Munich. I had kept in touch with a guy I'd meant in Ireland and found out we happened to be in Munich at the same time, so we neant up our first night there and went on a beer tasting tour of the city. Munich is the beer capital of the world after all. It was an awesome time, very strange to see someone from the beginning of my trip though. Ireland seems like forever ago!

The next day I took a walking tour of the city which was actually quite interesting. He took us to alot of the important sites from during the war and gave us a history lesson of the city. That night we went to the Haufbrauhaus, which I am told is the most famous brewery/beer hall in the world. It was such a fun atmosphere with the traditional german ,usic in the background, beer in big steins, and sausages and pretzels being sold everywhere. The next day we were planning on heading to Prague but we loved Munich so much we decided to stay another night. Which we spent in the Haufbrauhaus again...

The next morning we forced ourselves to leave and head for Prague. Prague is an interesting city...pretty different from most of the other cities we've visited. It's very cheap, which was a nice change for sure. But it also has a different feel to it, not as touristy I guess. Whatever it was, I liked it. It was a nice change. We only had one day in Prague since we stayed so long in Munich, so we tried to hit the big sites. Among the most impressive were the Charles Bridge,and the Dancing House.

The next day we headed to Berlin. I loved Berlin. It is definitely one of my favorites on this trip. The city is so pretty, with a mix of new and old architecture, it's cheap, the people are friendly, and there's so much history. Our first day there we went on a walking tour of the city, which was so interesting. We went to the remains of the Berlin Wall, Hitler's Bunker, Checkpoint Charlie, and lots others. Very very cool. The next day we went to the Sachsenhausen concenration camp about an hour outside of Berlin. This was a intense visit. I would highly recommend seeing it though, it was very eye opening to say the least.

We then left German (and unfortunately their beer and sausage) behind and headed for Belgium.


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement



10th August 2007

Almost done
Hi Jen - hard to believe that almost 10 weeks are coming to an end.I think we all enjoyed it here seeing all your blogs almost as much as you did in person! Can't wait to see all the pictures and hear all the stories. By the way, loved the picture of the "Dancing House"! See you in a few days Love Dad
10th August 2007

Interesting and Historial I am a world war 2 buff
Loved your comments and pictures of Berlin and the concentrations camps and Hitlers bunker.......I have seen documentaries and read about it but seeing it in person must have been an experience. You look like you are having so much fun at the breweries........you will be home soon at it will be hard to adjust to the hum drum everyday life .......but what an experience you have had. I love that you did it!!!!!
10th August 2007

Burp!!!
Well . what else could I say after seeing that huge stein of beer!!Glad to see you are still having a blast !Beautiful pictures .Love the overview of the roof tops of Prague.I was telling your mom you should when you get back and get settled into you own place .Take some of these photo's and have them cropped /enlarged etc and frame them .They are as good as it gets as far as architecture etc.It would mean even more as you took them and were there .Take care looking forward to future installments ,if there is anymore ???Safe Journey back !! Kim

Tot: 0.32s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 55; dbt: 0.1118s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb