Soltau, Germany


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany
July 26th 2005
Published: July 26th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Moored in UtrectMoored in UtrectMoored in Utrect

After a hectic day we appreciated this quiet spot
We have completed our canal ride. Sad to say goodbye to our boat and to Holland. The trip was incredible. Again I am on a pay site so I will just give a quick update and try to put some pictures in. After our last update we had some joys and some frustrations with sailing at one very important lock (sluis) we had quite an ordeal. Our rope became tangled ont he side of the lock which was actually good news because our throttle was actually broken and we were stuck in first gear. After trying to stop a moving boat we finally cut the power all together, before we were sent into the busy canal. All was fixed and only minor damage occured to another boat oh, and Kelvin's head. It could have bbeen worse but just barely! We lived to tell about it but needless to say it was not a highlight. We can laugh about it now. We ended that day in Utrecht in a perfectly idealic Dutch city.
The next day was relatively uneventful and beautiful on the river Vecht until we arrived at our last lock (sluis). This was also the first one we went through
MindensluisMindensluisMindensluis

Dutch Sunday afternoon party
last week. This week was Sunday afternoon and the whole town was out to party in the sluis. We were shocked to turn in to see the party going on. Last week this crowded sluis would have been cause for concern but this week with experience we took this all in stride and enjoyed the music and festivities.
Upon leaving our boat on Monday, the next mode of transportation held even more 'joys'. The trains were not so friendly to us and we spent most of Monday trying to get to Soltau, Germany. Upon arrival at 10 pm our clean, quiet hotel and bed were a welcome site.
This morning we set off for Heide Park a idyllic German amusement park where we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and just relaxed. Oh, except for the Colossus, the largest, wooden roller coaster in the world. My head is still reeling from that.
I hope we will be able to check in again soon.
Leaving for Berlin in the am. Hope the trains like us better tomorrow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

The Boys at Heide ParkThe Boys at Heide Park
The Boys at Heide Park

Fun day at the park


Tot: 0.262s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0439s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb