Landshut to Deggendorf


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany
June 17th 2023
Published: June 17th 2023
Edit Blog Post

Another day on the River Isar, moving north east. Some was the same as Richard's route and some our own. We had plotted a route last night that would stick to paved paths. Fifty miles of gravel riding can get a but much. As yesterday we were with Dave and Bob.

From the hotel it was immediately across a bridge on to the island in the middle of the river and then after a little way across another bridge to the other side of the river. As we were leaving Landshut there was a man cycling towards us who had been sprayed gold from head to foot. Presumably he was a street artist off to work.

As predicted the river side path was quite gravelly and Dave got fed up of this and took to the main road and said he would meet us at Dengolfing. We stopped in Dengolfing for a coffee and then managed to find Dave and set off together again. Later when we stopped at Landau an der Iser to find some lunch Bob said he would carry on on his own. It was just trying to rain as we reached a Bakery with cafe so we sat inside. By the time we came out the sun was shining again.

At one point we came across a couple dressed in their wedding attire having some photos taken while drinking champagne. We stopped to wish them good luck and they were happy for me to take a photo of them.

At several places on the river there hydro electric stations making use of the power of the water. About eight miles before we arrived Bob appeared behind us and cycled into town with us. Just before reaching Deggendorf we crossed the mighty Danube.

After showers we walked into the centre of Deggendorf and there was some sort of scooter rally going on with lots of different kinds of scooters and in all colours. Some were quite old and some even older than me! The evening meal was sat outside our hotel and then Paul and I walked down to the Danube. To do so we had to pass part of the university and it was obviously Graduation evening. The river side was busy with walkers and joggers and young people partying.

Deggendorf is situated on the Danube near its junction with the Isar river. It calls itself the gateway to the Bavarian Forest and the town includes both the lowlands on either side of the Danube as well as the foothills which rise towards the mountains on the Czech border.

50 miles.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.117s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0964s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb