Deggendorf to Regensburg aling the Danube


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany
June 18th 2023
Published: June 18th 2023
Edit Blog Post

Today we were on the Danube all day, heading west. We have done this part before when we were going to Vienna but that was in the opposite direction and instead of staying in Deggendorf we went a little further to Niederalteich to stay in a Monastery.



There were lots of diversions and construction work on the early part of the path so there was a bit of messing around in and out of places and the diversions were not always clear. We had lunch in Straubing as it was the main place on the route and the most likely to have cafes that were open. Being Sunday most places were closed. It was a little early, for lunch, and less than half way, but needs must. We found an Italian cafe 'Eis' cafe that also sold toasties. They were pretty basic but better than nothing. All the staff were speaking Italian and it had a very Italian vibe to it.



We couldn't always see the Danube as often we were behind the flood barrier but we did manage to see lots of wild life including swans, ducks, geese, herons and cormorants.



As we neared Regensburg the river became busier with river cruises and speed boats on the river and a solitary barge. I think the lack of barges was due to it being a Sunday. The paths also became busier with cyclists, walkers and skaters.



As we got to the centre of town it was extremely busy and clear there was yet another festival going on. We had to dismount and walk for a while as it was far too busy to try and cycle. Crossing over one bridge we were behind two women with thong bikini bottoms on that really didn't leave much to the imagination!



Just before we arrived at the hotel we spotted an ice cream shop so we stopped for one. It had been incredibly hot all day with very little shelter.



We all dined together at a restaurant a little further out of town. I don't think we would have got in any where more central because it was so busy. Conversion at the table often turns to previous trips they have done which have been all over the world including Australia, Nepal, Mongolia, China, Japan, Kurdistan, America and Vietnam. From talking to Richard we know they are all in their late 60s or in their 70s but you would never know it. They are so fit for their age.



We had a wander round town and then back at the hotel face timed Adam as it was Father's Day. A lovely end to the day.



60 miles

Advertisement



Tot: 0.341s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0672s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb