Munich to Landshut


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany
June 16th 2023
Published: June 16th 2023
Edit Blog Post

Bob and Dave were setting off as rgd same time of us so we set off together. We were soon off the roads and into the 'English Gardens' park land running along side the River Isar. As expected the path was fine gravel. After about twelve miles Dave said he was fed up of gravel and we could go down a road that was parallel to the river so it was agreed to try this until Freising. Some of the roads were a bit busy but mainly we were on cycle paths, some of which were gravel. After about fifteen miles we were under the flight path for Munich airport. Planes were taking off at very regular intervals.

We detoured in Freising for a coffee and cheese croissant, as an early lunch. We had a wander up the main street and took some photos of the church and other buildings. We had completely used up our sun cream so I bought some more in a chemist's shop.

On leaving Freising it was decided to stick to the roads again and we did this until Moosburg where we stopped for another coffee and croissant. Not the best nutrition but there were no sandwiches around. Soon after Moosbutg we got back onto the original route and fortunately it wasn't all gravel. Infact most of it was a lovely tarmac path. It tried to rain a few times but never did much although it had obviously rained hard in Moosburg before we got there.

We saw several lots of pick your own strawberries and lots of other vegetables , maize and wheat growing.

When we arrived in Landshut it was obviously set up for a festival. The receptionist, at the hotel, said this was a big Jewish festival that would take place in another two weeks and occurs every four years.



We wandered round Landshut before and after tea and what a beautiful place it is with very tall colourful houses. Most houses are six stories high. St. Martin's church is an amazing structure and said to be the second highest brick building in the world. Tea was at the Greek restaurant and was another wonderful meal of massive proportions.



Landshut straddles the River Isar and is known for it's medieval Trausnitz Castle. Close to the Isar is the Ländtor, a gate from the town's medieval fortifications. The medieval Ländtor got its name from the landing place of the raftsmen on the Isar. Today only the outer gate of the Zwinger (large courtyard) remains. There used to be an even higher gate a few meters into town, which had to be demolished in the 19th century because Theaterstraße became too narrow. The Ländtor and the Burghauser Tor on the Alte Bergstraße are the only gate structures that have been preserved from the original 8 city gates.



Landshut has two parallel main streets , Altstadt and Neustadt and shorter parallel streets link the two. Altstadt is lined with stately gables houses five stories high and Neustadt is scarcely less imposing.

48 miles.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.157s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0533s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb