Miltenburg to Andernach


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany
June 18th 2019
Published: June 19th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Miltenburg to Andernach.
Leaving Würzburg late afternoon and sailing Miltenburg during the night. In the morning as we negotiated a lock, a local Glass blower, Hans Lttig joined our ship and we had a very informative couple of hours with him on board.
After lunch we went and explored the fascinating town of Miltenburg.
This was the last city in Bavaria that we will visit as we head down the Main River towards Rudesheim where we join the Rhine River that will take us to Amsterdam.
We passed by Frankfurt during the night and visited the city of Rüdesheim and took the gondola up the hill to the huge Niederwald monument that was built in memory of the Franco-German war and the resulting formation of the German Empire 1877-1883.
We continued down stream to Andernach with castles perched on rocky outcrops along the way. That evening we went to dinner at Schloss Burg Namedy (Princess Heide’s Palace). The Palace was great and we had freedom to walk around and sit on the furniture etc, but the dinner was in a huge room with mahogany and mirror walls and solid ceilings so the din was worse than an afternoon in the Ettamogah Pub.
We had a piano recital after dinner, then the bus back to the boat.
Now we are on our way to Cologne.


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

Boys will be boys Boys will be boys
Boys will be boys

This was a statue in Miltenburg
A view of Miltenburg A view of Miltenburg
A view of Miltenburg

We walked to the castle at the top just to get this photo.
Thai Massage??Thai Massage??
Thai Massage??

Check out the images in the top story windows.
Up the Gondola-Rüdesheim Up the Gondola-Rüdesheim
Up the Gondola-Rüdesheim

We take the gondola up over the vineyard to the statue on the hill.
Tunnel CastlesTunnel Castles
Tunnel Castles

During WW2 the Germans built false castles at the entry and exit of the railway tunnels hoping the they wouldn’t get bombed.
Schloss Burg Namedy. Schloss Burg Namedy.
Schloss Burg Namedy.

We had dinner here.


Tot: 0.197s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 22; qc: 85; dbt: 0.1061s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb